Idea for a mesh clam shelter

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to think of a viable tool, like a mushroom cage, but for a clam. The objective is to keep nipping fish out instead of keeping the clam in like a mushroom cage would do. It also needs to allow enough flow and light to come through, which is critical for the clam to grow.

I've seen lots of large clams do just fine with occasionally nipping fish, but smaller clams might meet their demise from such activity, even if it isn't aggressive nipping.

Let's start with clams that sit on the sand bed, since that is easiest. A box that you could turn over and put over the clam would be ideal. Maybe varying in size from 4"L x 3"W x 3"H for small 2-3" clams (maybe a bit higher?). Then moving up from there.

Something like this:
1707933009450.png

But instead of iron, I think the frame would be best in clear acrylic, and instead of metal mesh, probably the same mesh that they use for screen lids. That would allow the maximum amount of light and flow through while keeping fish, and even some inverts, out until the clam is bulking up.

Anyone try this before? @cromag27 look like something in your wheelhouse?

Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesh or acrylic will have to be cleaned to keep it from becoming fouled with encrusting organisms and detritus.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I was thinking the same thing,
BTW , which fish are nipping? have you observed/caught the offenders?
I have a new clam coming in the next couple of weeks. The last one arrived in bad shape and lasted less than 2 weeks, and I caught the tailspot blenny nipping at it when it was in the "no turning back" phase. Not sure if the blenny would have nipped at it if it wasn't already on the way out, though. In any case, I figure a temp solution to make sure no fish go after it would be ideal.
I like the idea, for temporary use.
But I wouldn't want to look at that in my tank on the daily for long term.
Right, agreed. It'd mostly be like an acclimation box for the clam. If the blenny were to get really aggressive with it, I would probably move the clam or move the blenny to a different tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back