Lids

  • Thread starter Thread starter possi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

possi

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2021
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
Location
florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there is a lot of posts about lids and different companies. But I would like to know the advantages/disadvatages of a one piece, two piece or three piece lid.
 
Depends on your setup and goals. Glass prevents evaporation but can get dirty. Netting allows for light to flow through, but has added evaporation. Egg crate is easy, but can block light
 
Most lids are just 1 piece unless very large or they are expandable.
 
Thanks for the feedback.
I’m thinking mostly durability and salt creep. My tank is 24” x 60”, and was thinking of going with a one piece lid, but will a one piece warp overtime?
 
If it's made from the correct material, like polycarbonate, then it will not warp.
 
If it was me I'd prefer multiple lids, so that you can work in one area of the tank without uncovering the whole thing. I'm always worried a fish will jump out the far end when I'm in the tank!
 
It depends on tank and if top has bracing with sections or not
I always use glass which has to cleaned periodically. The netting on screen allows light but also acquires salt buildup and needs rinsing and also permits some water spray to get through openings
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new