LIDS ?!

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you who own reef tanks specifically 20 gal and under do you keep lids over top? I have a evo 13.5 chunked the stock light bar and got me something different so I’m not using a top or a lid. I wanna know if it’s something I should look into or not. I don’t have jumping fish just two lightning maroon clowns.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your local.lowes or home depot sells window screen kits. Youll need that.
The little roller tool. The rubber seal. Should all be next to each other. Run to the garden section and get some of thr small bird netting.
Go home and measure thr dimensions u need. I think the corner add like 1.5" or something.
Anyways. Make ur own. Lol
D

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your local.lowes or home depot sells window screen kits. Youll need that.
The little roller tool. The rubber seal. Should all be next to each other. Run to the garden section and get some of thr small bird netting.
Go home and measure thr dimensions u need. I think the corner add like 1.5" or something.
Anyways. Make ur own. Lol
D
Oh definitely making my own just don’t know and importants of them

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No lid on mine, but there's definitely a need for it. If you ever have anything that gets aggressive with it's tank mates, you'll have crusties on the floor in the morning. I've been lucky so far, but it's only a matter of time....

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the fish get scared and run into the wall and up. I dont think they jump on purpose. Maybe some of the dartfish and jawfish. Lol but theyre crazy.
D

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass lids IMO are bad especially on a smaller tank. Gas exchange is real and it has quite the impact on your aquarium and your creatures. If you absolutely must have a glass lid then it is IMPERATIVE that you put some sort of skimmer on the tank to ensure good gas exchange.

Screen lids as mentioned above are fine. Try to get the bigger holes for the screen to help ensure the best gas exchange. Screening will work but IMO the BRS stuff is better. But all have different needs and tastes, so whatever works for you in the end is the right stuff.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No lid on mine, but there's definitely a need for it. If you ever have anything that gets aggressive with it's tank mates, you'll have crusties on the floor in the morning. I've been lucky so far, but it's only a matter of time....
Good things is I only plan on having the clowns and a wrasse in my tank

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass lids IMO are bad especially on a smaller tank. Gas exchange is real and it has quite the impact on your aquarium and your creatures. If you absolutely must have a glass lid then it is IMPERATIVE that you put some sort of skimmer on the tank to ensure good gas exchange.

Screen lids as mentioned above are fine. Try to get the bigger holes for the screen to help ensure the best gas exchange. Screening will work but IMO the BRS stuff is better. But all have different needs and tastes, so whatever works for you in the end is the right stuff.
Glass lids are a no go for me. Condensation build up is just a messy situation to have

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll need to figure out something else to cover your tank, like a mesh lid of some sort if glass lids do not work. Both clownfish and wrasses are jumpers.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost any fish can be a potential jumper. You just won't know when or why. As mentioned before, gas exchange is hugely important. Not only for proper oxygenation, but also to keep your PH up. If you have a sump/skimmer, a glass or acrylic lid may suffice, but may hold in heat during the warmer months. If you go with a mesh top, keep in mind the size of the fish. A tighter weave mesh may prevent some fish from getting through, or getting caught in the mesh when/if they try to jump.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back