Life after Velvet!!

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank running for over 2 years and never had any fish die from disease. It all changed last week when I bought a fish not from one of my usual sources. :( I don't have a quarantine system but I loved to beleive I have a good bio diversity and I even bought a purple tang covered in ick and nursed it back to health on main display with no medication (Good heaty feeding).

I normally buy stuff from a Marine fish exporter when he brings the fish for export from sea. So fish are 1-2 days after being caught from sea. This time around he didn't have a good anthias male I wanted and Last one I had from them would only eat chunks of fresh mean and not even any frozen stuff. so it slowly died off. Anyway fast forward I ordered A male Anthis from a guy who says quarantine fish and have fish store and deliver near my home(Lockdown due to covid). Not meduicated quarntine but still few weeks of quarantine. Paid over 2x the cost at Fish exporters. That fish came in hid inside rocks and found dead in 2 days all rotten.

Next it started, My beautiful long nose butter fly died within 2 days. One day saw white spots in body, next day dead.;Hurting My bristle took about 2 days after. My 2 damsels hanged around for a while being sick but they also died in next couple of days. My similar damsel was there from start I put right after cycle and was the largest damsel I have ever seen. ;Drowning. IT was sick and hanging around about 4 days before dead. Very tough guy.

Only fish left is surprisingly my Yellow coris wrasse. It seems to be a bit sick also as for few days now brush his body on sand multiple times per day. But is seems health so far. I guess its because it stays inside sand and the sand gets rid of the stuff thats being built up on body.. :rolleyes:

Anyway my next conundrum is, what should I do next? When can I start to restock? I guess not atleast for a another month I guess ? I was thinking if I should do like a 90% water change? But My corals are doing great, and I do not want to mess them up wit ha large water change.
Whats life after having velvet in your tank ?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No point in doing the water change, it won’t rid the tank of velvet. If you are looking to remove velvet then remove the wrasse and let the tank sit without fish for 6 weeks min.

The wrasse may infect all new fish added.

OP
OP
Reesj

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No point in doing the water change, it won’t rid the tank of velvet. If you are looking to remove velvet then remove the wrasse and let the tank sit without fish for 6 weeks min.

The wrasse may infect all new fish added.
I don't have a QT tank to remove it :( can I let it sit and maybe wait a bit longer and observe the wrasse ?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a QT tank to remove it :( can I let it sit and maybe wait a bit longer and observe the wrasse ?

Not really no. Clearly the wrasse is infectious. Takes 6 weeks for velvet to die out without a host and only one velvet swimmer to infect.

A plastic bin is a tank if you put water in it and a sponge filter.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did I learn? Preventative action in the form of an oversized UV and Polyp Lab Medic onhand at the first sign of trouble. What I learned was that despite your best efforts, something is always going to slip through. Better to plan for that eventuality than cling to the belief that you’ll always be able to effectively quarantine everything.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, as long as a fish remains in tank, it's not safe. You could even use a 5 gallon bucket to QT if you had to.

OP
OP
Reesj

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haev a small unused 1.5x1 foot tank that I have to dust off and take I guess. Dont have anything to cycle the dam thing, which is the problem. Don't think due to velvet I cna use anything from DT. So have to buy a sponge filter maybe and put it in there.

BTW I have about 20 trochus snail in the tank. Would they be a problem also. Do i have to fidn every last one of those also or will be fine with them in DT ?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haev a small unused 1.5x1 foot tank that I have to dust off and take I guess. Dont have anything to cycle the dam thing, which is the problem. Don't think due to velvet I cna use anything from DT. So have to buy a sponge filter maybe and put it in there.

BTW I have about 20 trochus snail in the tank. Would they be a problem also. Do i have to fidn every last one of those also or will be fine with them in DT ?

bottled biospira can cycle the QT tank quickly.

You don’t have to remove any inverts. Just every single fish.

The big thing is you can not cross contaminate. This means not sharing buckets and hoses and wet hands and tools between the quarantine and the display tank.

You will also need to treat the wrasse with copper power and a copper test kit. Assuming it can survive.

There is a ton of info on the disease forums.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reesj

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunetly we at Sri Lanka is at a complete lockdown for about another 7 days. Also don't have much on salt water medication in sri lanka I'm afraid. :(

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunetly we at Sri Lanka is at a complete lockdown for about another 7 days. Also don't have much on salt water medication in sri lanka I'm afraid. :(

You could try some other methods like tank transfers (bucket transfers really). There is a special method for velvet.

Scroll down for the velvet protocol every 36 hours.

OP
OP
Reesj

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try some other methods like tank transfers (bucket transfers really). There is a special method for velvet.

Scroll down for the velvet protocol every 36 hours.

Thanks. So according to this, I need 2 small tanks except the DT. BTW, according to this, do I need to wait 6 weeks or just after tank transfers done, I can add the fis hto the coral Display tank ?
Becasue it seems the Velvet can not survive more than 1 week without host from its posts..

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So according to this, I need 2 small tanks except the DT. BTW, according to this, do I need to wait 6 weeks or just after tank transfers done, I can add the fis hto the coral Display tank ?
Becasue it seems the Velvet can not survive more than 1 week without host from its posts..
No you still have to wait.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

6 weeks before any fish can go back. The reason it to break the cycle of parasites in the tank. All cysts hatch and can not find a host and die.

Two buckets and an air pump and air line. I simply cut a new peice of air line for each transfer so no risk of cross contamination. I don’t use a heater unless it is winter. I buy a cheap brand of sand and add a handful or two so the sand sleeping fish can hide. New sand every time. I rinse and let each bucket fully dry between. Can put a fan on it if you live somewhere humid. 24 hour dry time will kill the parasites.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank running for over 2 years and never had any fish die from disease. It all changed last week when I bought a fish not from one of my usual sources. :( I don't have a quarantine system but I loved to beleive I have a good bio diversity and I even bought a purple tang covered in ick and nursed it back to health on main display with no medication (Good heaty feeding).

I normally buy stuff from a Marine fish exporter when he brings the fish for export from sea. So fish are 1-2 days after being caught from sea. This time around he didn't have a good anthias male I wanted and Last one I had from them would only eat chunks of fresh mean and not even any frozen stuff. so it slowly died off. Anyway fast forward I ordered A male Anthis from a guy who says quarantine fish and have fish store and deliver near my home(Lockdown due to covid). Not meduicated quarntine but still few weeks of quarantine. Paid over 2x the cost at Fish exporters. That fish came in hid inside rocks and found dead in 2 days all rotten.

Next it started, My beautiful long nose butter fly died within 2 days. One day saw white spots in body, next day dead.;Hurting My bristle took about 2 days after. My 2 damsels hanged around for a while being sick but they also died in next couple of days. My similar damsel was there from start I put right after cycle and was the largest damsel I have ever seen. ;Drowning. IT was sick and hanging around about 4 days before dead. Very tough guy.

Only fish left is surprisingly my Yellow coris wrasse. It seems to be a bit sick also as for few days now brush his body on sand multiple times per day. But is seems health so far. I guess its because it stays inside sand and the sand gets rid of the stuff thats being built up on body.. :rolleyes:

Anyway my next conundrum is, what should I do next? When can I start to restock? I guess not atleast for a another month I guess ? I was thinking if I should do like a 90% water change? But My corals are doing great, and I do not want to mess them up wit ha large water change.
Whats life after having velvet in your tank ?
Oh man this reminds me of my velvet outbreak. I had a tank with a dozen fish that would have occasional Ich. Then I bought two quarantined tangs from a new supplier (attempts to acquire those hard to find fish for a change). Well they made it for 2-3 weeks and then boom they contracted velvet. After the new tangs went, all my other fish except 2 died within days of looking sick. Fish I had for years, just gone over night.
After that I did not know what to do. I still had a yellow tang an scopas in there, a couple weeks later I added a wrasse, a week after that I added a few more fish and so on and so forth. I decided to purchase my fish from the same LFS from now on. They get Ich every now and then but I haven’t lost any since the velvet outbreak.
23696D33-25F3-4D01-878B-ED9BF4FADE16.jpeg

Back