"Life Expectancy" of an aquarium

Darins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am new to the hobby and i'm looking at making my first investment (most likely red sea 500s/525xl) and i've been listening to youtube channels nonstop as an effort to not make too many mistakes with the build. So far, i have followed Mr. Saltwater Fish tank budget and 120 series, and the BRS build videos which have great informaiton.

One thing i've heard and haven't found clarification on is the 'life expectancy' of a reef tank.

I understand silicon cannot hold forever, but i was hoping someone here with some experience could let me know:

- how long their tanks have lasted (especially red seas of similar size to the 525), or when the glass broke (maybe a 'why it broke' as well)
- what signs to look for in a tank that indicate the structural integrity is diminishing
- additional maintenance or ongoing preventative maintenance to ensure the silicon doesn't give out/ the glass doesn't break
- so far I've seen avoid using glass cleaners near the corners of the tank which could damage the rim of the silicon, and to keep rock's secured to avoid a fall and possible contact with glass... but that's about it

Any information on this matter would be helpful! Thanks to all the reefers out there helping the newbies!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drawing-dolphins-hand-painted-dolphin-cartoon-image-and-fish-images (1).jpg

Glad you joined us!
There are numerous accounts of aquariums running for decades. As long as the tank is manufactured properly,coplanar, level and isn't damaged from impacts, cutting silicone, they will last a very, very, very long time. Decades or longer.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with the above statements. I'd expect a solidly built tank to last for decades.

Abundant Life Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read you can expect for tanks Silicone to start deteriorating at the 20-30 year mark. But there are a lot of other factors. Like what kind of conditions have the tanks been stored in (heat/cold/etc), the build quality, the stand the tank sat on, etc. I could totally see a well-built tank last 30-50 years, but I think that is more of an anomaly than the standard..

I recently took down an old oceanic tank that was 23 years old, and the seams were coming apart.

Personally, the longest I've kept a tank is 3 years, but I have a problem with getting bored and restarting or upgrading lol.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read you can expect for tanks Silicone to start deteriorating at the 20-30 year mark. But there are a lot of other factors. Like what kind of conditions have the tanks been stored in (heat/cold/etc), the build quality, the stand the tank sat on, etc. I could totally see a well-built tank last 30-50 years, but I think that is more of an anomaly than the standard..

I recently took down an old oceanic tank that was 23 years old, and the seams were coming apart.

Personally, the longest I've kept a tank is 3 years, but I have a problem with getting bored and restarting or upgrading lol.

Oceanic tanks were some of the best built tanks I've ever seen and had!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends of course. My current tank was built in 1996, some have had theirs over 40 years however. Most likely it will outlast your time in the hobby.

OP
OP
D

Darins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea 750s are anywhere from 6mo to 3 years.... Was that to harsh?
Yikes! i did see some statement from Red Sea specifically about the 750 (way out of my price range anyway). Have you heard/do you know if the 525 suffers similar issues / if red sea isnt worth the price tage?
in my research, i know it's expensive, but i thought it was of the more tested brands out there.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with anything else, there really are no long term guarantees. I keep an empty tank large enough to temporarily house the livestock from any one of my systems. Complete with HOB filter, cheap lights, heater etc.. just in case of emergencies. Takes up room in the shop, but it's there and ready if I ever need it.

Welcome to R2R by the way. Nice to have you with us.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think another factor, is how many times that the tank has been emptied and refilled... Each time this happens, the seals are affected as the water pressure changes.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 20 long was built in 1986, and is still in use as my refugium. It shows no signs of being ready to leak, and the silicon looks no different than the silicon on my 180. So I’d say at least 30+ years...

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two O'Dell tanks that I bought 40+ years ago. Both have been in continuous service.

Reefhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished refurbishing a 120 I got on “next door” for $50. Being the paranoid freak I am, I added 3/4” stainless angle siliconed to the outside for added peace of mind.

DB90EBBA-62DD-4627-8326-1FA729FCDD10.jpeg

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody wants to talk about it... but some of the big names out there have some issues with seams and stand quality that are beyond the realm of comfort to a good chunk of reefers.

If getting a large tank (4 feet or more, 100 gallons or more), go custom and save yourself some sanity and get a eurobrace and a nice rigid stand (metal or solid wood).

I’d look at Planet Aquariums and the likes. Crystal dynamics, reef savvy, etc. Look at warranties too, and as others have said, level the tank perfectly.

sailorman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a typical 150 gal with plastic framing that I bought and set up in 1991 , can't remember the brand. It was filled once, never moved and sat on 1 1/2" thick marine plywood. The bottom seam let go a little over a year ago. I had asked this same question years ago about tank longevity and the general consensus at the time was 25 years. I got about 28 years out of it. I'm sure there are just as many survivors as failures once you go past that 25 year mark. At my age the new replacement tank will most certainly outlive me.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! i did see some statement from Red Sea specifically about the 750 (way out of my price range anyway). Have you heard/do you know if the 525 suffers similar issues / if red sea isnt worth the price tage?
in my research, i know it's expensive, but i thought it was of the more tested brands out there.
The new upgraded Red Sea tanks have addressed the issues with the silicone and stand bracing. The improvements are well thought out and strengthens the tanks greatly. I personally gave my LFS's XXL900 the once over and saw the improvements.

OlderManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As everyone says, it varies. I have several tanks that were purchased in the 1970s and 1980s that are still in service, these are mostly 75 gal and 150 gallon. I have two 150s that were used for three decades to raise baby discus. Each has operated for 5-10 years at a time with stints of 2-3 years in storage without water - in a barn in Connecticut with winter temperatures that reached -5 to -10 every year and we’re over 100 degrees for 1-3 days every summer. When we moved to Washington state in 2015 I wanted to take 2 150s. I filled them up on their stands in the barn, they both held water and both have been in continuous service here. I will be taking one down next month to put in storage. I have had up to 30 tanks going at the same time over the years and none has ever broken. I take extreme care to make sure a tank is adequately supported at each corner and go from there. I never buy a tank that when level along the top has a gap on one of the corners when on a level stand.
I have nearly always built my own stands but I do have two Red Sea tanks - 170 and 425, and I find those stands to be rock solid and level. I have not noticed any glass separation at seams in my Red Sea tanks as has been documented by several owners, but as someone who has built glass tanks up to 350 gallons, I have been surprised at the thick silicone layers. I have heard that the seams have spacers inserted during manufacture that are later removed and filled.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back