"Life Expectancy" of an aquarium

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not buy a Red Sea tank, get a custom rimmed glass, level solid stand will last decades

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would post a longevity question about the tank you are thinking about in the Red Sea sponser forum here

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know... Red Sea... Oceanic... others...

I just don't see what makes the systems worth the money they get for them.

Some of those Red Sea tanks run $5000.00, and as I understand it (I've never owned one), you get a particle-board stand. I wouldn't mind a closer look at one so that I could better understand what makes them worth the money they ask.

If it's longevity you want, I'd get a nice glass tank (I happen to like Aqueon) and copy the build of a Red Sea for a fraction of the cost.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could check out Glass Cages they’re very affordable and can give a complete custom tank. @Joe Glass Cages
Thanks @Cwentz758. You know my passion. My passion talking tanks even if you buy from a different builder. you have to get the best fit for you. And my goal is to support your journey even if you buy from someone else.

I read through this thread. great points. Some great builders mentioned. Planet is Awesome!

We recently updated our warranty. our goal to listen to the needs of those in the hobby and support accordingly.

Here is our new warranty, its simply and you pick with you want.

Glass Cages LLC offers a standard 90-day aquarium warranty against leakage, seam integrity, product quality and craftsmanship from the date of delivery. Extended warranty options are available up to a lifetime warranty. See the extended warranty options below.
Warranty Conditions:
    • Standard and Extended Warranty offered to the original purchaser only and is non-transferable.
    • Aquarium must be installed on a level surface. Purchasers may use different manufacturers’ stand or privately constructed stand. All that is required to maintain warranty is proof of aquarium bottom supported by level surface and stand structurally sound. Proof in the form of pictures and or videos must be submitted to Glass Cages LLC within 90-days of aquarium delivery. [email protected]
    • Aquarium grade mat or ¾” thick Styrofoam must be used or warranty is voided.
    • Filling Aquarium prior to aquariums fill date will void the warranty.
    • Modifications, neglect, abuse, improper aquarium maintenance and improper installations will void the warranty.
    • Warranty is limited to aquarium only and does not include, bulkheads, lids, hinges and overflow cover(s), aquatic life loss, personal injury, property loss indirect or direct, incidental or consequential damage arising out of the use of aquarium.
    • Proof of purchase is required to honor the aquarium warranty
    • Warranty does not include replacement shipping charges
Upon aquarium failure, Glass Cages LLC requires pictures (video if possible) taken immediately of tank and failure points prior to moving aquarium or area clean-up. Please email documents to [email protected] to start the warranty replacement process.
Extended Glass Cage LLC Warranty Options
An extended warranty is available at the purchasers' discretion. All above stated warranty conditions apply to all extended warranty options. Additional year(s) of aquarium warranty may be purchased at the rate of 10% of the aquarium’s fee (excluding bulkheads, overflow cover(s) and lids price(s)) per additional year of warranty desired. See the table below.
Extended Glass Cage LLC Warranty Options
Extended Year(s) Percent of Aquarium Price
    • 1 Year 10%
    • 2 Years 20%
    • 3 Years 30%
    • 4 Years 40%
    • 5 Years 50%
    • 6 Years 60%
    • 7 Years 70%
    • 8 Years 80%
    • 9 Years 90%
    • Lifetime 100%
https://medium.com/m/signin?operati...48f7cc95a34---------------------clap_sidebar-

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with anything else, there really are no long term guarantees. I keep an empty tank large enough to temporarily house the livestock from any one of my systems. Complete with HOB filter, cheap lights, heater etc.. just in case of emergencies. Takes up room in the shop, but it's there and ready if I ever need it.

Welcome to R2R by the way. Nice to have you with us.

This is a great idea!

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the general sense of your question, a tank should last for well over 10 years, and as told by some in this thread many years more... I have personally broken tanks and that is usually the most common cause of tanks failure but most won't admit it :)
there will be tanks with manufacturing defects probably every single builder has had them,
If you're just getting started (first reef tank) I would suggest you don't empty your wallet on your first setup, I love my two red sea reefer tanks but believe me there is not one tank that would satisfy any reefer - we are always in the hunt for the next upgrade - good luck and be patient, this is a great hobby

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea 750s are anywhere from 6mo to 3 years.... Was that to harsh?
My peninsula 650 v1 was 7 months. very emotional experience for me.

Hopefully the new and improved version 2 will last. DT was covered by red sea’s warranty. But honestly I have nightmares of my living room flooding. I just do not understand the weight being supported by silicone regardless of how thick the glass is. I really do not understand the rimless trend and will at least get euro bracing on the top and bottom next time around.

One day I walked into my local fish store and their Red Sea v1 750 was flooding the store. They said the tank was 7 years old. BRS still has their v1 750 tank in tack. Hopefully, they last at least 10 years. Time will tell.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back