Life Reef skimmer owners- Question

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an idea to put the skimmer + skimmer pump + return pump in the same chamber. The plan is to have more space for the refuge and that's why thought to ask if having the skimmer in same chamber as return pump, would that be an issue with the macro bubbles? I read in few posts that there is no marco bubbles issue with lifereef skimmers and based on that, would be there any other issue?

1603723108007.png

1603723124988.png

Thanks

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get bubbles from any of my LRs. Each install is different, but if you can keep the water level constant and keep the skimmer outlet away from the return pump, then it should be ok.

OP
OP
Salahunreal

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have not reached yet the step with ATO and if I can maintain the water level in that section. I see if there is a way to achieve that.

@Imm1967
What I read and heard that Life reel skimmer will not overflow?

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have not reached yet the step with ATO and if I can maintain the water level in that section. I see if there is a way to achieve that.

@Imm1967
What I read and heard that Life reel skimmer will not overflow?
I've yet to see a skimmer that WON'T overflow.

LifeReef skimmers are less prone if you plumb it exactly like Jeff designs it (specifically the air intake routing).

Even if it doesn't overflow in the traditional manner - the water volume inside the skimmer can vary and throw off the water level - which will make your ATO do silly things which may (or may not) cause an impact on your tank.

If you are really wanting to save room in your sump - plumb the skimmer to run external or ask Jeff at life reef to bu ild you an external refugium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salahunreal

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I check maybe I can get bigger sump and sell this one to have them seperated.

Back