Lifegard UV pro-max 55 new design with unclear instructions

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I bought a new Lifegard UV pro-max 55 watt last week, and notice the design is different than the instructions (http://www.lifegardaquatics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Pro-Max-UV-Instructions.pdf). If you look at the instructional PDF, part number 15 (UV cap clear PVC plastic) is now redesigned, and it comes with a screw cap and rubber ring not shown in the replacement part diagram on the last page.

I think part 15, the rubber O ring and cap can now make a water tight seal with the quartz sleeze so that the UV bulb can be replaced without disassembling the unit and draining it.

They seemed to have hinted at this in their youtube instructional video (in the comment section as a reply, not in the actual video).

Unfortunately, the paper instruction manual and the youtube instructional videos have not been updated to reflect this.

Can anyone else verify my assumption is correct?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I bought a new Lifegard UV pro-max 55 watt last week, and notice the design is different than the instructions (http://www.lifegardaquatics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Pro-Max-UV-Instructions.pdf). If you look at the instructional PDF, part number 15 (UV cap clear PVC plastic) is now redesigned, and it comes with a screw cap and rubber ring not shown in the replacement part diagram on the last page.

I think part 15, the rubber O ring and cap can now make a water tight seal with the quartz sleeze so that the UV bulb can be replaced without disassembling the unit and draining it.

They seemed to have hinted at this in their youtube instructional video (in the comment section as a reply, not in the actual video).

Unfortunately, the paper instruction manual and the youtube instructional videos have not been updated to reflect this.

Can anyone else verify my assumption is correct?
I have the lifegard 90watt. It has a screw cap and o-ring and the bulb rests in the center of the cap. It doesnt make it easier to change a bulb to me as i still have to ubscrew both sides to remove it. Got a pic?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a great improvement.

OP
OP
H

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the lifegard 90watt. It has a screw cap and o-ring and the bulb rests in the center of the cap. It doesnt make it easier to change a bulb to me as i still have to ubscrew both sides to remove it. Got a pic?
If I get a chance I’ll try to upload a picture, but I already assembled it and might be lazy to undo all my work.

Anyway, I leak tested it and it didn’t leak even without the UV bulb inside the quartz sleeve. so I guess I have the new design where you can change the bulb easily, without getting water everywhere.

The former instructions on making sure you place the O ring and compression rubber cap to seal the UV bulb inside the quartz sleeve seem kind of unimportant now.

OP
OP
H

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent lifegard a message on their customer support website for any additional info. I sent them a link to this forum too.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look like any of these?
R450209-UVEndCapClearforallProMax_new.jpg

OP
OP
H

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the picture, the clear part on the right is redesigned. It now has two threaded ends for two different black caps to screw on to it. One cap seals the bulb to the quartz sleeve (the original way to keep water from leaking), while the new threaded end helps seal the quartz sleeve with a rubber gasket to a new black cap.

Again, this is my assumption since the instructions are outdated.

The part with the red arrow is the same.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay. Well mine is the "old" design I feel so ripped off haha. The bew design sounds much smarter.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have a go to site for replacement parts for these lifegard units? Is it only bulb that should be replaced annually or sleeve too? I ordered from marine and reef website but they emailed me to refund my card to say they won't have the parts for an unknown period of time.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have a go to site for replacement parts for these lifegard units? Is it only bulb that should be replaced annually or sleeve too? I ordered from marine and reef website but they emailed me to refund my card to say they won't have the parts for an unknown period of time.
Replace the sleeve. Mine after 13 months started to have pieces of plastic come out of it.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. I'll look for a place that has both the sleeve and bulbs.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. I'll look for a place that has both the sleeve and bulbs.
I haven't needed to replace the quartz tube, just the bulb and sleeve so far.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've probably got this sorted by now, but you can order direct from Lifegard at http://www.lifegardaquatics.com/

I had to email them with a request for an invoice and pay by phone which was a little archaic but easy. And their customer support was excellent.

They advised that I would need to replace the bulb and protective PVC liner but not the quartz tube. The PVC liner is out of stock until June. I replaced my bulb last week but probably would have also replaced the quartz tube if I had an opportunity to look at it before ordering the bulb. It was fully opaque with calcification. I was able to clean it with citric acid and get it 90% clear again. I'll definitely replace it next year.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did replace the quartz tube. I ultimately got it marineandreef and the bulb from aquacave. The tube i ended up using my original one as the rubber gasket that fits on the end of the quartz tube was adherent to the tube and unable to be removed without ruining it. I cleaned it with citric acid, and it looked pretty new afterwards.

I'll keep that in mind for the next time though. Quartz tube needs a replacement rubber gasket too! Lol

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did replace the quartz tube. I ultimately got it marineandreef and the bulb from aquacave. The tube i ended up using my original one as the rubber gasket that fits on the end of the quartz tube was adherent to the tube and unable to be removed without ruining it. I cleaned it with citric acid, and it looked pretty new afterwards.

I'll keep that in mind for the next time though. Quartz tube needs a replacement rubber gasket too! Lol
Yeah I encountered the same thing re: the rubber gasket on the quartz tube. I couldn't get it to budge. It's glued on? I don't remember from putting it all together in the first place but I just figured it was stuck on real well and I didn't want to force it too much as it seems the tube would break pretty easy.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting until June for the protective sleeve is too long. I still haven't been able to find one for my 90w. Im worried it will destroy the black pipe.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting until June for the protective sleeve is too long. I still haven't been able to find one for my 90w. Im worried it will destroy the black pipe.
Yeah I've been wondering about that too.

Are you up for a 1 year replacement right now?

I just replaced my bulb a week ago and have debated running it without the PVC sleeve. It would be pretty funny if it's effectiveness is basically limited to exactly 365 days.

Oh wait, you said in your previous post that you had pieces of plastic coming out. Was the the white protective PVC?

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've been wondering about that too.

Are you up for a 1 year replacement right now?

I just replaced my bulb a week ago and have debated running it without the PVC sleeve. It would be pretty funny if it's effectiveness is basically limited to exactly 365 days.

Oh wait, you said in your previous post that you had pieces of plastic coming out. Was the the white protective PVC?
Yes its the white protective sleeve pieces. Im about a year and half into the sleeve. Ive often thought about making a titanium one that would last forever but my diy skills are lacking.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember attaching it either on the original unit. I did try to heat it and remove, but it's strongly adhered to the quartz. Also didn't want to break it trying to get it off. The quartz tube cleans up pretty easily at least. I'll swap it out next year with a new rubber piece since I already bought a replacement quartz tube. The bulb exchange itself was pretty straightforward and easy!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back