Light and flow help

reefingformysons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys ,

So I have a new 120l tank coming in January which how now been delayed to February so I wanted some help with my current 30 Gallon tank which I’m probably going to use for Frogfish and corals onceI move all these fish into the larger tank.

My parameters are spot on in the 30 gallon but the corals aren’t flourishing which leads me to believe the issue is with the lighting and flow which I’m struggling to pinpoint.

The tank is an AIO system and minus the chamber space at the back the actual display measures 80 cm long 30 cm deep and 40 cm high.

I currently have one radion xr15 pro g6 running the AB+ schedule at 90% intensity turning on at 1pm and off at 11pm with an hour ramp up and ramp down.

For flow I’m using a random wave nozzle on my return pump and a blue marine Wavemaker 4000 on the opposite end. The aquascape in the centre obstructs on end so I currently have the Wavemaker position to the left side of the tank.

Can anyone advise me on lighting and flow please. Do I need another light? Am I running this one too bright?

Is there too little flow?

I will attach a video and photos of the tank as it currently is.

Any advice would be great! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Video

Last edited:

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys ,

So I have a new 120l tank coming in January which how now been delayed to February so I wanted some help with my current 30 Gallon tank which I’m probably going to use for Frogfish and corals onceI move all these fish into the larger tank.

My parameters are spot on in the 30 gallon but the corals aren’t flourishing which leads me to believe the issue is with the lighting and flow which I’m struggling to pinpoint.

The tank is an AIO system and minus the chamber space at the back the actual display measures 80 cm long 30 cm deep and 40 cm high.

I currently have one radion xr15 pro g6 running the AB+ schedule at 90% intensity turning on at 1pm and off at 11pm with an hour ramp up and ramp down.

For flow I’m using a random wave nozzle on my return pump and a blue marine Wavemaker 4000 on the opposite end. The aquascape in the centre obstructs on end so I currently have the Wavemaker position to the left side of the tank.

Can anyone advise me on lighting and flow please. Do I need another light? Am I running this one too bright?

Is there too little flow?

I will attach a video and photos of the tank as it currently is.

Any advice would be great! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Video won’t load. Recommend using YouTube to convert, as many of us do.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as lighting. I don’t know if it’s just the photos, but it looks a bit under-lit

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post your water parameters in terms of levels and daily flux?

Your “spot on” and others can vary widely.

OP
OP
R

reefingformysons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post your water parameters in terms of levels and daily flux?

Your “spot on” and others can vary widely.
  • Water temp: 79°F -
  • pH level: 8.1
  • Alk: 10 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.025
  • Nitrate 5.8
  • Phosphate 0.04
  • magnesium 1325
  • Calcium 400

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your leather looks fine, and the tree coral both look good. The gorgonian's polyps are extended as well. I am not familiar with your lights so I cant make an assessment, but flow, with the randomizer and the the wavemaker seems fine for a 30 gallon stocked the way it is.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you not think one xr15 is enough? What about a kessil ap700
Def not enough light… you’d need 2 of them or something with better spread.. I’d also add a Nero 3 or something similar for flow.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters are all good. I looked up that wavemaker.....you could use more flow. Check out the Hygger Wavemakers, you can get two for the price of one Nero, and put them on opposite ends of the aquarium and create a nice randomized flow pattern.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefingformysons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your leather looks fine, and the tree coral both look good. The gorgonian's polyps are extended as well. I am not familiar with your lights so I cant make an assessment, but flow, with the randomizer and the the wavemaker seems fine for a 30 gallon stocked the way it is.
It’s weird because 3 of my mushrooms are shrunk and closed. My hammers are closed up aswell and haven’t extended in weeks the favia hasn’t grown much and lost its colour and my montiporas (sunset and beach bum) have gone very dull

OP
OP
R

reefingformysons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def not enough light… you’d need 2 of them or something with better spread.. I’d also add a Nero 3 or something similar for flow.
I was thinking so even with these lights at 90% I feel the spread isn’t wide enough. And I might replace that Wavemaker with two Nero 3/ each end or the hyggers as mentioned. If I had two xr15/ what intensity would you recommend I run them and the neros on?

Thanks

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking so even with these lights at 90% I feel the spread isn’t wide enough. And I might replace that Wavemaker with two Nero 3/ each end or the hyggers as mentioned. If I had two xr15/ what intensity would you recommend I run them and the neros on?

Thanks
I’d say around 75% to start… the Nero’s you’d have to play with until you see the lps moving in a slow but good fashion. I’m a firm believer in high light and flow no matter the coral.. I have a sps dominant tank and I have LPs and they do very well with low nutrients and super high flow and light, you just gotta place them accordingly… I have torches and hammers sitting in 300-500 par and zero problems they actually love it! Acans not so much I shade them a little and flow hasn’t been an issue with them.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, i am by no means an authority...how far above the waters surface is your light mounted?...i have a 40 breeder with a G2 Radion XR30 mounted about 14 inches above the waters surface to get spread...even at that height i am running it on AB+ at 50%... when i first set it up it was at 60 and things did much better when i dropped it...have a G3pro that i picked up in case the 10 yr old G2 dies and from what i've researched i'll need to drop that to 40 % to put out the same amount as what i'm currently using....assuming an XR15 is pretty much half of an XR30 (i could be wrong, so check the specs) you may be way too bright in the center trying to get light to the edges...i'd be renting a par meter

OP
OP
R

reefingformysons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, i am by no means an authority...how far above the waters surface is your light mounted?...i have a 40 breeder with a G2 Radion XR30 mounted about 14 inches above the waters surface to get spread...even at that height i am running it on AB+ at 50%... when i first set it up it was at 60 and things did much better when i dropped it...have a G3pro that i picked up in case the 10 yr old G2 dies and from what i've researched i'll need to drop that to 40 % to put out the same amount as what i'm currently using....assuming an XR15 is pretty much half of an XR30 (i could be wrong, so check the specs) you may be way too bright in the center trying to get light to the edges...i'd be renting a par meter
I have it mounted on the radion mount so I believe it’s about 22 inches off the surface of the water

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back