Light diffuser, anybody cracked it yet?

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand it very much depends on the thickness of the polycarbonate. I use the thinnest I could find at 3mm which allows more UV than thicker stuff to pass through. Polycarbonate used for say greenhouses is much thicker and reduced UV much more.
Granted it's been a while since I've ran UV tests in a lab setting, the lenses I was testing were a fraction of a mm thick so I don't believe so, at least not to a great extent.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like low 300nm range transmission is poor but 400nm+ looks to be pretty darn flat at ~90% transmission. Looks pretty good.

Where did you find the transmission numbers? You state 90% 400+ what percentage for below 300? Sorry if this is a dumb question this information is way above my head.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find the transmission numbers? You state 90% 400+ what percentage for below 300? Sorry if this is a dumb question this information is way above my head.
Some materials charts are easy to read some are tough, polystyrene was easy thankfully. I just googled "polystyrene UV transmission" and used the Image tab to find multiple analysis that agreed and confirmed they were for the material I was looking for ;). Also, I used to work in optics (glasses) for a while...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back