Light Height: How high are your lights above your reef tank? This one is 5 feet!

How high are your lights mounted above your aquarium?

• 1" - 6"

Votes: 174 18.2%
  • 7" - 12"

Votes: 590 61.7%
  • 13" - 18"

Votes: 163 17.1%
  • 19" - 24"

Votes: 16 1.7%
  • 25" - 36"

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • 37" - 48"

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Higher than 48"

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 5 0.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Light Height: How high are your lights above your reef tank?

Obviously the answers for this will vary depending on many different factors including the depth of your tank, the brand and type of lights you have, the types of corals you have, do you have a canopy and so on. Some hobbyists are leaning towards a more "artistic" aquarium so they may have a uniquely designed lighting system for their reef.

So let's talk about that today! Also if you have a "unique" lighting solution or set up please share a photo!

1. How high are your lights mounted above your aquarium?

2. What lights are you running over your reef and how deep is your tank?

3. Do you think there are advantages to mounting your lights higher and if so why do you think that?

4. Would you want to mount your lights higher if you could?

@WWC has Radion G5 lights on their 1200g lagoon tank mounted about 5 feet high!
Lagoon_12.jpg

Brian82143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great poll idea! I am debating this myself right now as I am setting up a new 120 gallon reef. I decided on 12" off the water as it is a 24" tall tank and will be running (4) ATI Blue Plus bulbs with (2) Kessil A360WE's. I considered going higher for better light spread and will be following these results closely to see what others recommend.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI Sunpower 6 bulb 15" over a 40B, LPS. Slowly lowering it, no idea what the PAR is.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some as low as 6", others at about a foot!

Combination of ETM Radion Gen4 and Kessil spots (360WE, 360X and 160) over a 96" long x 36" deep x 30" tall display.

3. Do you think there are advantages to mounting your lights higher and if so why do you think that?

I hate light spill, and the design of my canopy means I have to keep the lights lower. Plus I have taken a slightly different approach to coverage as I only light the back 24" (mostly to prevent algae growth on the front panel, but partly to have a trough to store all the cords and power bricks).

Probably not. I don't love the design of my canopy mainly because some of the lights hang down too low .... but I want easy access to the top of the tank.

IMG_1281.jpg
IMG_0793.JPG
IMG_0789.JPG

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. My lights are mounted 14” AWL.

2. I am running 4-hydra 26hds in a aquatic life fixture while also using 2-blue+, and 2-actinics. My tank dimensions are 60Lx36Wx24H. Full floating canopy, with motorized winch for raising and lowering.

3. Yes I think there are advantages for higher mounting, such as better spread and less “hotspots”.

4. I wouldn’t mount mine any higher for two reason. Biggest reason is for my particular programming(Original BRS AB+), my par values are where I want them to be, checked via par meter. Second reason would be so I dont produce more light spill.

*side note, I haven’t skinned my stand yet so don’t flame me! haha

BBAFA66D-724C-4FB7-9B24-58F73EB447C7.jpeg 87F902AD-C1B3-4449-BB76-D73CF67E3DBC.jpeg

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running an ATI Sunpower 8 bulb T5 fixture over my tank. My tank is 28” tall and the light sits about 5-6” above the surface of the water.

If anything, I’d like to lower my lights, but that is purely because of aesthetic reasons. I have an auto feeder sitting on the rim of my tank that prevents the light from being any lower. The lower the light, the less light spillage into the rest of the room.

B8A598D0-9AC4-463D-AF46-168A38A5E190.jpeg

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10"

Overkill ATI Sunpower 8X54W Dimmible T5

Not as much with T5's, but raising lights reduces shadowing.

I think I have mine about right. There isn't a lot of light spill, and the light is uniform across the tank. Shadowing is minimal. I think I would lose some of the light reflection off the front and back glass if I raised the higher.

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 5 hydra 52's and 4 - 60" T5's around 15" above a 24" deep tank. Peak par is mid 500's at the top (6" down) and 260-290 on the sand bed. I can't mount my lights and higher, but I don't feel it would be advantageous to do so anyway.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 7".

4 no name black boxes. The tank is 24" deep.

Better spread, better blending (hot spots not quite as hot), less shadowing. Downside would be more light spillage into the room.

Yes. I have a tall tank/stand in a finished basement with a drop ceiling, so my options are limited. Might be able to raise them a couple of inches though.
fts.jpg

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case someone finds it helpful:

Backtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

5 inches above water

Two xr-15 Blues

If I could go 8” I would try but I can not(without a different hood).

I would have tried 8” first, but my tank is 30” deep and the par levels are about the same at any given level in the tank except the top 6”. Meaning par increases evenly across the tank the higher you go.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18” off tank.
kessil 360x/T5 hybrid.
I wish I could mount it higher but light spill is really bad. Maybe I’ll look at getting narrow reflectors

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

24 inches

8x XR15 gen 4pro and 2x XR30 all with diffusers

well blended light blanket

No

7A3F1173-94B7-4E47-94FA-8CB4A2D1C71D.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 210g display metal halides are about 12" from surface of water. The t5s are closer to 6". In my 40g and 20g they t5s are about 6" and the 6g the t5s are about 8".

My 210g is 24" deep. The MH and t5s are what I have used for so many years, never got around to researching the LEDs.

Much easier to get into tank to do stuff if lights are higher. Plus less salt creep and damage from water.

I would not make them higher, but easier to move up and down to mess around in the tank.

Older picture from 2018 after rebuild with new tank. Lights have not changed even if everything else has.

20180920_141600_HDR.jpg

Mark Bielby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Obviously the answers for this will vary depending on many different factors including the depth of your tank, the brand and type of lights you have, the types of corals you have, do you have a canopy and so on. Some hobbyists are leaning towards a more "artistic" aquarium so they may have a uniquely designed lighting system for their reef.

So let's talk about that today! Also if you have a "unique" lighting solution or set up please share a photo!

Lagoon_12.jpg
It appears to have a leak, it’s only half full... just think of all that Extra space for the tang police to moan about...

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5.25"

AquaticLife 36" Expert Series LED, 36" deep.

Less heat transfer due to better heat dissipation capabilities.

No, light spread fits the tank and inhabitants needs where it is. Heat transfer is mitigated by a couple of well placed fans.

IMG_7247.JPG

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lagoon_12.jpg
My lights are about 7-8 inches up, but I run custom LEDs with no lenses that cover the entire top of the tank. Two t5s in the middle to even it out a bit.
I tried 14 inches with lenses, but the corals liked it a lot less.

aquaregia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. lights mounted 34 inches from bottom of 18 inch deep tank.
2. One Orphek Atlantik V4 and two forty eight inch Orphek OR2 bar lights
3. water depth is 16 inches so lights are 18 inches AWL
4. I am very satisfied with my tank lighting and placement and don't feel the need to mount the light any higher.
The Reef Wholesale coral lab model that seemed to start the Radion AB+ lighting craze have their lights mounted 24 inches above 12 inch deep tanks,ie. 36 inches from the bottom. I am pretty close to WWC and TSA in Orlando and noticed in my many visits that their lights are mounted somewhere in the 24--30 inch AWL range, except the large tank in the front of the store where they are at 60 inches. I'm amazed how many folks mount their lights so close to the waterline. Never worked for me.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lagoon_12.jpg
I just set up a 7.5 gallon nano for NPS and photosynthetic corals. The light I went with, style was one reason I chose it.
Here's what it can do

favorite dawn, sunrise, daytime, sunset and night-time light settings. You can even dial into auto-cloud cover, a moon phase and moon light and a handy acclimation setting for new coral.

To be determined when par meter gets here

Zetlight UFO
Tank depth 12 inches

I don't know the answer to that this is my first photosynthetic tank in the modern Age of reef keeping.

I do know the light fixture for this nano-tank can light up to 24 in deep. And with a special lens you can do 1.5 m deep. I just received the light today and set it up, waiting on the Wi-Fi controller to simulate lightning, cloud coverage and of course sunset and sunrise.

Screenshot_20200621-222805.png IMG_20200624_155434239.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back