Light hours

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48 inch ati powermodule over my 90g sps dominated tank. Right now it is 6 inches above the water. My corals have amazing color but I was wondering if I have my daylights on for long enough. I run 2 blue plus from 11:45am to 10 pm and I have my daylights run from 1:45 to 6:15. Are those goo hours? If I keep them on for 8 hours will I get better growth? Or will that bleach my corals? My growth is pretty good right now and everything is looking great, do you think I should just keep it how it is?

dmorazan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you r having great looking sps and corals over all I will do what u r doing now . they are used to what u have now . i had one of the best looking tanks and had to change my lighting do to the hi energy bill with MH to led's and my corals suffered and my tank does not look as nice as it used to . lost lots of corals lots but will do it again and hope everything comes back. my bill is lots lower. leave it my two cents.

whyzee429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything is good, why change? You could experiment with slowly adding to the duration of the daytime lighting. I have a similar setup except my schedule is blue+ for 9 hours and daytime for 7. You are only under full power for 4.5 hours....others can chime in, but I definitely don't think it would hurt to add an hour or two.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything is good, why change? You could experiment with slowly adding to the duration of the daytime lighting. I have a similar setup except my schedule is blue+ for 9 hours and daytime for 7. You are only under full power for 4.5 hours....others can chime in, but I definitely don't think it would hurt to add an hour or two.

I agree. If you do decide to add hours, be sure to do it slowly! Add 15 minutes every week or so until you get to where you want.

CJ

whyzee429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the threat of bleaching should be minimized since you arent increasing intensity, just the duration a little at a time.

OP
OP
PolandSpring

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 30minutes more to daylight. and 30minutes to actinics (2 bulbs only)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back