Light setting for Pom Pom Gracilaria

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have a Kessil 360x (not ideal I know but have on hand) that I'm putting on my refugium for Pom Pom Gracilaria. Anyone have settings recommendations for me? Color settings and par would be ideal, nitrate is about 12 and PO4 is .06

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any setting will be fine. I would run the light below 100% to extend its longevity (I think that helps). The color setting shouldn't matter much. If it were me, I'd go to whichever color settings has the widest spectrum (I forget the percentage.

Short Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months trimming. Using just white led for 10 hours.

20230531_202132.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months trimming. Using just white led for 10 hours.

20230531_202132.jpg
Looks like Gracilaria Hayi.

A beautiful species of Gracilaria featuring rigid, flame shaped branches that form a tight symmetrical bush. It is lightly calcified so the addition of calcium is recommended. In shallow water it is often found in very large clumps covered in colonial tunicates or encrusted with epiphytic bryozoans. The coloration varies between deep crimson red to bright orange depending on the amount of light provided. It features a small holdfast that can be attached to rocks or left as a free floating specimen if desired. Overall it is undemanding and will grow well under a variety of conditions even in low flow environments. Due to its lightly calcified branches it is not known to be very palatable to fish or invertebrates.​
Aquarium Care Information
Scientific Name: Gracilaria Hayi
Common Name: Red Bush, Fire Algae
Origin: Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, Tropical Atlantic
Maximum Height : 6"
Growth Rate: Slow
Light: Moderate
Temperature: 78-84
Propagation: Fragmentation, sporulation
Difficulty: Easy
Food Value: Not very palatable
Nutrient Uptake: Fair
Flow Rate: Moderate to High
Copyright © 2010 GCE All rights reserved. No part of this online publication may be reproduced in any form by any means without the expressed permission of the author. All images are the property of Gulf Coast Ecosystems unless otherwise noted and should not be reproduced or distributed without permission.​

Back