Rock source and aquascape suggestions for 7g invert tank

StackTrayce

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're setting up a lifegard aquatics 7.4g to feature a pom pom crab.
Soft corals and other crabs, shrimp, snails and one small fish (TBD).
Relatively inexperienced at sourcing rock, as everything I've had has come from previously-owned nanos (running a 20g mixed reef).
DT dimensions are 15Lx10x10", and I'm estimating using ~8-12 pounds.
Is CaribSea LifeRock nano kit an economical option? I also see Nano LifeRock Dry Live Rock 10lb for ~$60.
Can I store excess rock in a 5g bucket w/ some sw? Any cheap light+timer option for a 5-10g live rock curing/storage/etc bucket?
Any suggestions for aquascape for showing off inverts in a low-flow tank?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a good LFS? If possible go to a LFS and just pick out some small pieces of dry rock. Most LFS should be OK with you messing around and arranging the rock to get a feel for how it will look in the tank (but try not to make a huge mess haha!) Can also just buy a larger rock near the weight you want and smash it up and glue it back together however you like.

You can store excess dry rock (which LifeRock is) dry, no need to keep it in water unless you are trying to cycle it.

If I am not mistaken a light is not required for cycling rock. . . not super sure if that is different or the same as "curing". . . but I have used cheap amazon clip on desk lamps in a pinch. That plus a KASA WiFi timer should work. . .

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of getting my list together for a 13 gallon tank. I will be using the dry rock that Bulk reef supply has and adding the bacteria to it. You don’t need a light in the beginning. If you break up rocks and reglue them together you can make the rocks look any way you like.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back