Invert nano/pico 5g for 9yo

StackTrayce

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to set up a small ~5g for hermit crabs and a few other inverts (emerald crab) for our 9 year-old niece. Would like an aio style compartment for heater, etc. Hoping for controllable lighting of some sort. I’ve looked at fluval evo 5 but was concerned about a review that mentioned pump was not replaceable.
Also looked at lifeguard aquatics but would need to find lighting and cover/hood.
May add a few easy soft corals if things go well for a few months.
Any suggestions or considerations for a 5g no fish build? Suggestions for lighting?
Worth starting with a fritz turbo cycle, etc or something w dry rock?
Experience w pumps on Evo 5s?
Would copepods be a good addition to a tank like this?

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should also check out some of the small Innovative Marine tanks. Slightly larger than the 5g you were talking about, but I’m pretty sure the new 15g IM is in the same price range and is a good looking little tank.

As for lighting, you really wouldn’t need much at all if you don’t plan on corals. So maybe a cheap led light and one of the $10 WiFi controlled outlets from Amazon could give you some basic control that would be cheap. If you are comfortable spending more upfront, I’m a big fan of the AI Primes.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And by the way, that sounds like a lot of fun and I bet she’s going to like it a lot!

Lots of cute little inverts out there. Blue leg hermits, some Pom Pom crabs, a porcelain crab would be on my list.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Lifegard 3.8 is great little peninsula pico tank. It was my first tank, and still have it running. For softies and inverts, the stock pump will be enough. I upgraded it with a Sicce for more flow. For lighting, I had a Kessil A80 with the Kessil controller. I upgraded it later to a 360X, but the A80 grew zoas, acans, mushrooms and a rainbow monti just fine.

Heating is done with a small/skinny no-name brand heater from Amazon hooked up to an Inkbird. A cheapie fan from Amazon for the summers. No ATO, I just had a squeeze bottle or RO nearby that I poured in... 200-300 ml daily in the summer depending on how hot it is, 100 ml or so in the colder months.

I had an acrylic sheet about 3/16 inch thick cut to the tank's top dimensions. Worked well for evap, but I removed it because I didn't want to sacrifice PAR. Kraken also makes a lid for this tank. InTank also makes a caddy.

Started with dry rock. I had it wet for months before turning the light on, so the uglies didn't last long once the lights were on a schedule. You don't need to seed with pods, but it doesn't hurt. They will eventually end up in your tank once you start putting in frags.

OP
OP
S

StackTrayce

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: went with lifegard aquatics 7.4g and noopsyche k7 mini lights.
Doubt she can wait months to turn lights on :)
Planning for rock now (posted in nano forums https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rock-source-and-aquascape-suggestions-for-7g-invert-tank.1020329/).
Stocking plan seems to be narrowing in on featuring a pom pom crab.
We've also ordered small magnetic frag racks for both tanks.
We got an emerald and 3 tiny blue-legged hermits for our 20g tank today and she's really enjoyed that.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back