Light settings

karlypops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new to the hobby and have a Thor 4 channel light (a,b,c,d) and wondering what the best settings would be for all types of coral. I currently have a few morphs and want to make sure they have the best chance, also what is the best placement I currently have them on the base (no sand) here is my current settings
Screenshot_20240218-095826~2.png

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately, you're gonna want to find a way to test par (photosynthetic active radiation). It's the aspect of light that corals actually use to photosynthesize. Surely a LFS or someone in your local reefing club has a par meter for rent. You can place your corals based on the par. In general, soft coral don't need much par so place them lowest/in the darker areas. LPS need medium light and medium flow so place them where they get enough flow that they open up but not so much they can't open up. SPS like montipora and birds nest need highlight and high flow so place them at the top and near the powerhead.

OP
OP
K

karlypops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately, you're gonna want to find a way to test par (photosynthetic active radiation). It's the aspect of light that corals actually use to photosynthesize. Surely a LFS or someone in your local reefing club has a par meter for rent. You can place your corals based on the par. In general, soft coral don't need much par so place them lowest/in the darker areas. LPS need medium light and medium flow so place them where they get enough flow that they open up but not so much they can't open up. SPS like montipora and birds nest need highlight and high flow so place them at the top and near the powerhead.
Thanks for that I'll check with the locals otherwise I'll buy one. This is something I wasn't aware of and has really helped my understanding of photosynthesis thankyou very much

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that I'll check with the locals otherwise I'll buy one. This is something I wasn't aware of and has really helped my understanding of photosynthesis thankyou very much
Uhh. I'm not gonna stop you from buying one but a decent one starts at $500 and they're really only used once then put away for a good while. Renting is the better option imo

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back