Light Spectrum help

phixman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking through various color schedules by people who keep sps and have good color . I noticed that the majority have low green, red, and white, while the blue, royal, uv, and violet are high. What are the affects of each color. Will too much red, green, or white have a negative affect such as browning of sps assuming they the PAR is kept between 250-350 par? Below is my schedule for a hydra 26 hd. I also noticed the majority don't have respiration periods.

zHGdcgj.png

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The greens and reds fuel algae which is why most of us keep them very low. Dana posted a awesome writing a while ago as well as a few videos. Let me see if I can find them and I’ll share the links.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...not to put another wrench into your thoughts, but some of the best tanks use a lot of red, green and yellow. Dr. Joshi, WWC, therman (he has threads on here) all use their panels on 100% on ALL CHANNELS. I would look more to Dr. Joshi and therman since they are hobbyists... just use WWC as an aside since they have different goals than you do, but you can still learn something from a vendor.

No, red and green do not brown out corals. They can actually bring out more color in coral. Bottom line is that full spectrum is best to render color and then blue-it-up for illumination and viewing - some lights can do both at once (MH) and some might require different schedules at different times of the day.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...not to put another wrench into your thoughts, but some of the best tanks use a lot of red, green and yellow. Dr. Joshi, WWC, therman (he has threads on here) all use their panels on 100% on ALL CHANNELS. I would look more to Dr. Joshi and therman since they are hobbyists... just use WWC as an aside since they have different goals than you do, but you can still learn something from a vendor.

No, red and green do not brown out corals. They can actually bring out more color in coral. Bottom line is that full spectrum is best to render color and then blue-it-up for illumination and viewing - some lights can do both at once (MH) and some might require different schedules at different times of the day.

True and look at Tidal Gardens, Jason Fox, and many others the strictly only use blue. It shows there are several ways to get awesome results. Dana is in the starting phase of how spectrum and elements morph colors. So I think we have a lot of info that I’m sure will change a lot of out looks on spectrum in the future.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are looking at mercury bulbs, even if they look blue, they still have a good amount of yellow, green and red... they just have more blue. In the case of Jason Fox who uses mostly T5 and a little bit of MH, even if you had only 20k, Blue Plus or Actinic bulbs, there is still a lot of the other spectrums there for the corals to use and get color from.

Put Adam at Battlecorals on the list of 100% on all channels. Some of his Photons are inbetween Halides, but he still uses them at 100%.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 30 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back