light spill

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello,

I have Kessil 360W on a IM 20g which is only 20 L x 15 W and this is causing light spill in our living room.
Besides making a canopy what other options do I have?

Thanks!

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it doesn’t cause too much shadowing in the lower corners and along the upper pirtions of the tank.

Be aware that light intensity drops off with the square of the distance. Moving the light closer greatly intensifies the output directly under the light. You may want to turn the lighting down a little bit if you do decide to lower it.

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it doesn’t cause too much shadowing in the lower corners and along the upper pirtions of the tank.

Be aware that light intensity drops off with the square of the distance. Moving the light closer greatly intensifies the output directly under the light. You may want to turn the lighting down a little bit if you do decide to lower it.

Yes.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used room darkening curtains from Walmart on my tank, I just cut them to the size I needed and sewed a new hem so they looked nice.
Awesome. Can you post a pic? Ive tried to contain my ap700s with black posterboard cut and taped around the perimeter.

But interested how you did that. So i can tell my wife to sew it haha

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Can you post a pic? Ive tried to contain my ap700s with black posterboard cut and taped around the perimeter.

But interested how you did that. So i can tell my wife to sew it haha
I'd love to post a pic for you but I'm out of town until next week and I can't find any good pictures that I already have on my phone. I basically just measured out the dimensions and cut it all to size, on the corners I overlapped the edges of the separate pieces and I used heavy duty self adhesive velcro to attach it all

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good ideas! I was thinking a Flash diffuser. The white part is removable. What throws me off is the silver lining inside but I can try to remove it and also the diameter where the flash goes might be small.

1370017F-0AD2-4CBF-AD20-F070D8CFE8F4.jpeg

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to post a pic for you but I'm out of town until next week and I can't find any good pictures that I already have on my phone. I basically just measured out the dimensions and cut it all to size, on the corners I overlapped the edges of the separate pieces and I used heavy duty self adhesive velcro to attach it all

Can’t wait for some pics.
Thanks for the idea!

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posterboard is a good idea. I just probably buy some plastic rod to mount it.
I'll post a picture when I get home. It actually looks really clean if you use just a little bit of Scotch tape. The only reason I'm looking at switching is I raised my lights and now I need to make the cardboard longer so I was looking at all alternatives.

For the most part it looks neat although some parts of the board slowly warp due to humidity coming from the tank.

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post a picture when I get home. It actually looks really clean if you use just a little bit of Scotch tape. The only reason I'm looking at switching is I raised my lights and now I need to make the cardboard longer so I was looking at all alternatives.

For the most part it looks neat although some parts of the board slowly warp due to humidity coming from the tank.

Yes, pics.

I cannot use scotch tape since I just have one 360w- round, yours has the square housing.
Maybe there's a some sort of sealant to protect it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back