Light Upgrade for Fluval Evo 13.5

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have the stock light for my Eco and want to upgrade to accommodate for a larger variety of corals. I've looked into the Fluval Marine 3.0 but haven't seen if they can grow any SPS corals, or if it's a good choice. Are there any "cheaper" or better alternatives?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you restricted to bar lights? Are you keeping the hood or going open top/mesh?

Fluval Marine 3.0 has its pros, but power is not one of them. For growing coral and showing off their colors you are better off with a puck style light.

Excellent budget option: Noopsyche K7 mini--will grow anything in an Evo.

Step up: AI Prime 16HD--similar performance to K7 mini if not slightly under, but has a better App and better connection. Costs extra for arm bracket and a diffuser helps as well.

If you want to spend >$300, there are options others will recommend.

Of you must go with bars due to overhead restrictions, I've found the Reefpro Blue Heavy bars from 21LEDusa are well-powered for the Evo, and you can get two bars and controller for the price of the Fluval Marine 3.0. the power of two bars should be enough for any corals you want, but it can get annoying taking the bars off and on for maintenance.

Hole that helps!

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you restricted to bar lights? Are you keeping the hood or going open top/mesh?

Fluval Marine 3.0 has its pros, but power is not one of them. For growing coral and showing off their colors you are better off with a puck style light.

Step up: AI Prime 16HD--similar performance to K7 mini if not slightly under, but has a better App and better connection. Costs extra for arm bracket and a diffuser helps as well.

Of you must go with bars due to overhead restrictions, I've found the Reefpro Blue Heavy bars from 21LEDusa are well-powered for the Evo, and you can get two bars and controller for the price of the Fluval Marine 3.0. the power of two bars should be enough for any corals you want, but it can get annoying taking the bars off and on for maintenance.

Hole that helps!
I personally like the hood but it's not a must have, I have yet to fid a mesh lid that looks like it would work, any suggestions?

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hole that helps!
would you say that the Prime is worth the extra 100? Looks like it can grow anything with great colors

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with either a noopsyche mini, kessil a80 or a160we, ai blade, or reefbrite

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you say that the Prime is worth the extra 100? Looks like it can grow anything with great colors
I do not think they are worth the price. I run 3 K7 minis on my 40, had one on my Evo (4th light I tried on that tank), and I have one on my 10g cube. I also have an AI Prime 16HD but recently sold it because I prefer the K7 spectrum and it is 5 watts more power than the Prime.
PXL_20230908_162952490.jpg

There are cons to the K7 mini. Some people have a horrible time with the wifi connection. I use the AP connection to connect directly to the light.

There are cons to the Prime as well. It has a strong discoball effect, which means a diffuser is useful (not needed, but useful), and the lens covering the LED chips tends to melt and need replacement.

I've heard good things about the AI blade though, so maybe there is a way to rig it up for the Evo in the hood, but I imagine the spread abd close distance to water would be limitations.

If you get a K7 mini, I have a small hack to extend the length of the flex arm so that it centers more easily when you fix it to the AIO chamber glass.

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an AI Prime on the Saxby schedule and love it. I added a 3DReefing Prime diffuser. Even added a Nero 3. Really like AI products.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back