Lighting.. (2) XR15 pro or (1) XR30 pro

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kdocimo90
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kdocimo90

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Messages
151
Reaction score
4
Location
Stamford, CT
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 48"x24x30 Tank. Most would recommend two XR30s but that is not an option.

Would you recommend 1 XR30 pro (the aquascape is mainly on once side of the tank, or 2 XR15 pro's (one in each side of the brace).
 
So I went with 2x XR15w Pro on my 65g tank. I would have to say I was surprised how high I had to crank them to get my SPS PAR levels where I wanted them. I posted the results of a PAR testing I performed at the link below. I think my PAR values are slightly higher than displayed. My peak value reached 90% during my current lighting schedule. Other than a shrimp eating a coral, I have not lost any corals in the last year with these lights. I do have to acclimate new corals slowly because I have experienced a low level bleaching with low light species.
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/2228826/
 
So I went with 2x XR15w Pro on my 65g tank. I would have to say I was surprised how high I had to crank them to get my SPS PAR levels where I wanted them. I posted the results of a PAR testing I performed at the link below. I think my PAR values are slightly higher than displayed. My peak value reached 90% during my current lighting schedule. Other than a shrimp eating a coral, I have not lost any corals in the last year with these lights. I do have to acclimate new corals slowly because I have experienced a low level bleaching with low light species.
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/2228826/

Thanks for that information. Good to know. Forgive me if I missed it, but how tall is your tank? The tank I am debating this lighting on is 30" as mentioned before, LPS and softies only
 
What type of coral are you planning? I'm always of the mind to get the better one...and then get another down the road if you cannot afford to buy both now. I would recommend the XR30 Pro from your options.
 
What type of coral are you planning? I'm always of the mind to get the better one...and then get another down the road if you cannot afford to buy both now. I would recommend the XR30 Pro from your options.

LPS and softies only. That's honestly what I'm thinking I'll do.
 
A 65G tank is 24" deep.. I may add some T5 later. So. I actually did a bit of research on this before the purchase. I paid about $800 for the 2 lights. One thing for sure, a single XR30 will not cover 48". I would say that T5 would be a cheaper 48" option for LPS and softies. I wanted a mixed SPS, LPS and soft tank and that is what drove my purchase decision. However, I am surprised I had to crank up to 90%. The divider in the middle of the tank has a substantial PAR impact. One XR30 mounted above a middle brace would not be an ideal setup.
 
I ran 2 XR30's (Gen 1) on my 40 Breeder Frag tank and felt I had to supplement with T5's just to color balance properly. I grew SPS and Chalice's in that tank. I use T5HO lighting and MH lighting primarily now.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new