mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
due to an ato failing and dumping 10 gallons in my upstairs

Controllers are way cool.

However, the correct answer to this IMO is not more control, but a better system.

Have an ATO reservoir that's sized so that it doesn't matter if it gets dumped.

I have about 4 gallons in a 5-gal bucket, for example....around a week's worth. No biggie if it gets dumped into my 100-gallon system.

But if you had that ATO reservoir on a 10 gallon tank, it would be an insane ATO. It could literally turn the into an amazon river tank in one malfunction or user-driven accident. ;)

OP
OP
Scorchx1245

Scorchx1245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm often gone for a week to a week and half. And my gf isnt the greatest at watching my tanks. Everything is automatic even the feeding. My 12 gallon aquapod with the top off loses 1/4 to a 1/2 gallon a day due a fan blowing on the surface to keep it cool cause my gf is on a green kick and wont use the A/C..;Dead

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to grow torts, stags, tables and other nicer SPS under 4x 40 watt 48" Normal Output Fluorescents in a shop light. The stuff had to be up higher in the tank, but the spectral quality was good.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the current pro is actually better than the IC version

They've changed them over the years....the old "Pro" was different than the IC altogether.....60º lenses...higher power.

The present model "Pro" is really just a pair of IC's together in a kit...IC's have 90º lenses, incidentally. ;)

For this tank, the IC's are definitely a better fit, BTW. (The old "Pro" models were more for deeper tanks.)

And I guess for the record, @Scorchx1245, your tank is shallow enough that you could even get away with the Current Orbit (non-IC) for sunrise/effects and one or more supplemental Truelumen LED strips as supplement for peak intensity. Spread is more ideal for a short tank, but cost may not be any less. I think $160 for the 36" Orbit plus $80 for a 36" truelumen pro, for an example.

So cheapest is actually a single Orbit IC.

Next is a plain Orbit plus a Trulumen Pro strip. This is better for your present tank – almost ideal – but won't be as good on a deeper tank...it would require more supplemental lighting.

Then an Orbit IC Pro kit.

(They also offer a LOOP Marine Bundle Kits that also include flow and return pumps for around $600-700. That includes the integrated system controller too, BTW.)

OP
OP
Scorchx1245

Scorchx1245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to grow torts, stags, tables and other nicer SPS under 4x 40 watt 48" Normal Output Fluorescents in a shop light. The stuff had to be up higher in the tank, but the spectral quality was good.

Learn something new every day. Lol

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my gf is on a green kick and wont use the A/C.

Interesting....around here HVAC usage (which is 24/7/365 just about) usually parches the air and causes evaporation to skyrocket vs having just natural air. Whereabouts on the planet are you?

OP
OP
Scorchx1245

Scorchx1245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting....around here HVAC usage (which is 24/7/365 just about) usually parches the air and causes evaporation to skyrocket vs having just natural air. Whereabouts on the planet are you?

Upstate NY, the fan in the summer causes evap, while the dry heat and dry air of frigid winter causes it as well.

Avp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Bloomspect 165w light on Amazon. $108, 3 year warranty and perfect spectrum. I have one over a 40 breeder now. I hang it high and it covers the whole tank. Sides are dimmer but looks nice. If you want to buy two, you're only down $216 dollars and will have more light than you need.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm currently turning my 40 gallon breeder into a SW tank from FW. I have a 12 gallon aquapod been running for almost a year basic Lps (hammer, GSP, BTA (he outgrew it and was donated back) clove polys, and some paly) now I want venture into sps down the road. I was looking at the black box Mars aqua. Would a single 165 do it? Or should would I need 2, I've been researching them and my LFS said they work ok but suggested radions which are out of my budget. 2 xr15s or 1 xr30. And other thoughts and opinions?

Our Photon 24-V2+ is a great fit for your aquarium, it includes tank mounting legs and everything you need to get started with high powered LEDs!

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-24-v2/

Dude60415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id go for the sb reef. Going to be the best bang for you buck. Or the reefbreaders if it will fit the budget.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As much as I hate to recommend them, if your truly on a low budget- Go Chinese black box with dimmers. I would however recommend the fluval nano light OR a PAR 38 multi color on a gooseneck mount

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
32" SB reef, or Reef radiance will serve you well. If you need to go cheaper, a pair of black boxes with dimmers will suffice

OP
OP
Scorchx1245

Scorchx1245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update...bought a black box led off ebay the mars aqua 165 watt. 2 of them. Looking at videos and love yo tinker, I'll be swapping diodes and lenses. My LFS has a Seneye that I'll be borrowing to make adjustments.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 77.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back