Lighting for a 40G breeder - new vs old from 29G

Saltwaternoob89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a 29G Bowfront that I use two NooPsyche K7 Minis on. I recently set up a 40G breeder and am looking at lights. I have about 6 soft corals /LPS that I will very likely put in the 40G since I am pretty set on making the 29G a FOWLR for some smaller creatures that might eat coral or something. These are the courses of action i have narrowed it down to.

1. Move NooPsyche K7 Minis to the 40g, along with the coral and buy a cheaper LED light for the bow front since I wont need to grow coral. ~$100
2. Buy 2 NooPsyche K7 PRO III and put them on the 40G breeder. - $270
3. Buy 2 AI Prime 16HDs and put them on the 40G. (I have read a lot of good reviews, but lately that people have had lenses melt/fan issues.... LFS says that probably bcs they are running them all out max) $~650 w/ mounts
4. Buy 1 Radion XR15 (that my LFS said would be fine but looking it doesn't seem like that will cover the 40G breeder) and put on 40G.. $~600 w/ mount

I'm leaning towards option 3, but the NooPsyche is the much cheaper option and have worked really well other than you have to connect to them via their wifi broadcast to change settings, it appears the PRO III will chain off each other though.

There are many different lighting options but I would prefer a cleaner look instead of having to hang lights front the ceiling or making a custom mount. Thoughts? Thank you

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 new Noopsyche K7 Pro would get my vote. More capable than Primes and half the price including brackets.

BetteMidler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you decide on anything? Having a set of K7 Mini's over my own 40B seems to be more than enough. If you got the Noopsyche app & settings figured out, I congratulate you. There was a learning curve. I like the idea of going with the K7 Pro's, there seems to be a lot more info on them for the light schedule & they pair. Though, I think the AI's or Radion's would be even more convenient all around to dial/change things. If you are going to stick with the same schedule, either K7 would get the job done.

OP
OP
S

Saltwaternoob89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you decide on anything? Having a set of K7 Mini's over my own 40B seems to be more than enough. If you got the Noopsyche app & settings figured out, I congratulate you. There was a learning curve. I like the idea of going with the K7 Pro's, there seems to be a lot more info on them for the light schedule & they pair. Though, I think the AI's or Radion's would be even more convenient all around to dial/change things. If you are going to stick with the same schedule, either K7 would get the job done.
Yes, I decided on 2 K7 pros. Got them set up last night and in AP mode, linking was done in about 5 min following the directions but can see how it might get confusing. Yeah the timer is a little annoying to set up custom but I don't tinker really so I wont be dealing with that often once it's set right. The coverage looks good and am excited to see how they perform. One thing to note, the mounting brackets are for rimless I presume, but they will work with rimmed. Just the plastic does touch My water line, hoping there is no future issues because of that.

BetteMidler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I decided on 2 K7 pros. Got them set up last night and in AP mode, linking was done in about 5 min following the directions but can see how it might get confusing. Yeah the timer is a little annoying to set up custom but I don't tinker really so I wont be dealing with that often once it's set right. The coverage looks good and am excited to see how they perform. One thing to note, the mounting brackets are for rimless I presume, but they will work with rimmed. Just the plastic does touch My water line, hoping there is no future issues because of that.
Nice, I recently found this thread that might prove to be useful for you: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/noopsyche-k7-pro-ii-review-and-growth-thread.527829/page-3

#shakygator was using these Pros on a AB+ schedule posted there and modified it for his 40 Breeder. Looks interesting

OP
OP
S

Saltwaternoob89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back