Lighting and powerhead suggestion for 40B

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a 40 breeder and will be transferring everything over from my current 37 gallon set up. It currently has a current USA loop light and 2 660 GPH powerheads.

I also have a gen 2 xr30 that I bought used. I was thinking about putting this over the 40B but I know it only has about a 24x24 in area so there would be shade on the sides. I do plan on getting into corals (Soft, maybe lps) with this tank since I have about a year with my current FOWLR setup.

I have 2 questions with this:
1. Will those 2 powerheads provide enough flow?
2. Which lighting option would be best? (I have thought about setting both up and using the current USA to minimize shadows)

Thanks in advance!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May end up needing another powerhead. Do you use any other kind of filtration that will circulate the water? Dead spots are what need to be avoided. For lighting why not just get another xr30? For lps and softies one may be enough though.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May end up needing another powerhead. Do you use any other kind of filtration that will circulate the water? Dead spots are what need to be avoided. For lighting why not just get another xr30? For lps and softies one may be enough though.
Yes I have a HOB protein skimmer. I thought about it getting a second one. The person I bought the first one from has another available. I also don't want to roast the corals that would be right under it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back