Lighting DIY Algae Reactor Input Needed

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned a BRS dual reactor into a DIY algae reactor several months ago. I have been using the "horticulture led strips" that can be bought off of Amazon. I was running chaeto in both chambers until one strip flamed out on me a few months back. I then decided to just keep one chamber going but the second led strip gave out yesterday. I'm not sure if the strips are failing due to heat, or if it is due to cheap build quality. Currently I am at a cross roads and cant decide if i want to A) but more led strip lights and put them back on the reactor, B) find an alternative lighting solution, C) Scrap the reactor and buy a skimmer instead. I am running this an an Innovative Marine Lagoon 25 AIO. My hesitation is the lack of good skimmer options for an all in one system. I also like running my chaeto on a reverse light cycle for any ph buffering benefits that I am able to achieve. Any thoughts on which direction I should go would be appreciated. I am really looking for opinions from members who have significant experience with running a DIY chaeto reactor. Thanks in advance.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hesitation is the lack of good skimmer options for an all in one system.

An Aquac Remora or Remora Nano would be my recommendation.

I also like running my chaeto on a reverse light cycle for any ph buffering benefits that I am able to achieve.

The skimmer will aerate very well, so your pH will benefit when it's most important (when corals are growing). I'm not sure there's any real benefit to tweaking your pH with the algae reactor at night. Real reefs have variable pH. :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d look at a different led option first. Perhaps something less diy.
Patch up what you have , and consider a better loner term soloution , like hOB Refugium you can fit a skimmer in perhaps, or time to research a better fit for the skimmer space.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back