Lighting for 120g Mixed Reef - A360X enough ?

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning out my build for a 120g (4x2x2) mixed reef. My focus is going to be a mixed reef of LPS, shrooms, zoa's, etc. I also want to have SPS like Montipora's (plating, encrusting, branching) and maybe birdsnest higher in the rockwork. I'm not going to be doing any other SPS such as acro's or milli's.

Based on this, can I get away with just 2 Kessil A360X or will it be necessary to add T5 ? I would love if I could go with just an LED solution if possible.
I'm also open to other lighting choices that may better suit my tank. Would AI Hydra be the better option ?
Any suggestions welcome.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 is asking a lot of the A360. You'd be OK with most of what you want but not the SPS. To get the rock high enough to get the PAR you'd need, it would look awkward. Additionally, once it started to grow out, it would block light for things below it. If the tank doesnt have a center brace, three would provide more flexibility and mitigate some of the issue. Something like the AquaticLife Hybrid is another option.

OP
OP
hoju74

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank I'm considering does have a center brace unfortunately. I've always thought that supplementing with T5 would be a given, but was hoping to avoid that and go strictly LED.

The Aquaticlife seems like a good solution, but I'll have a canopy. Probably have to go with something like an LET retrofit kit or something.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 with those dimensions and use 2 Orphek Compact V3s. My system is a mostly softies. I have my lights hung 12" above the water, with all channels at 100% I think par at surface was like 600 and about 75-100 on sand bed. I've been happy overall with these lights but they are $$$. What about a couple noopsyche? Check out the lighting forum Dana had some interesting reports on a fixture I had not heard of before that was pretty interesting. I think you would be fine with 2-3 A360s though.

OP
OP
hoju74

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 with those dimensions and use 2 Orphek Compact V3s. My system is a mostly softies. I have my lights hung 12" above the water, with all channels at 100% I think par at surface was like 600 and about 75-100 on sand bed. I've been happy overall with these lights but they are $$$. What about a couple noopsyche? Check out the lighting forum Dana had some interesting reports on a fixture I had not heard of before that was pretty interesting. I think you would be fine with 2-3 A360s though.
Yeah, the Orpheks are nice, but might be treading into 'wife will have heart attack' territory of light prices.
The reason Kessil appealed to me is the slim form factor and not having to mount the lights far off the water, which is great since I'll have a canopy. I might start with LED's and see how it goes and add T5 lighting down the road as I get more into SPS when the tank is mature.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank I'm considering does have a center brace unfortunately. I've always thought that supplementing with T5 would be a given, but was hoping to avoid that and go strictly LED.

The Aquaticlife seems like a good solution, but I'll have a canopy. Probably have to go with something like an LET retrofit kit or something.

I used the LET retrofit with two Kessils for a year or so and had good results with it on a mixed reef (also had a canopy). When I decided to go SPS dominant, I ditched the canopy and used the AquaticLife with the two Kessils. The setup worked well but the AquaticLife with four T5s only produced 21% more PAR than the LET retrofit with two T5s. Disappointing results but the setup produced results (and continues to work well even though I'm shutting that tank down).

OP
OP
hoju74

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the LET retrofit with two Kessils for a year or so and had good results with it on a mixed reef (also had a canopy). When I decided to go SPS dominant, I ditched the canopy and used the AquaticLife with the two Kessils. The setup worked well but the AquaticLife with four T5s only produced 21% more PAR than the LET retrofit with two T5s. Disappointing results but the setup produced results (and continues to work well even though I'm shutting that tank down).
So you only ran 2 T5 bulbs on your mixed reef ? I was thinking of doing 2 of the 2 bulb fixtures if I go the hybrid route.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 3 a360we over my 120 and its perfect when i upgrade to the 360x i will be doing 3 and if needed will get the narrow lenses i would not worry about par numbers i have tried all sorts of settings and my lights top out at 80 percent and everything is amazing i tried 100 percent following the brs video guide and everything was miserable and that was with a 3 month slow increase from the 80 I'm at

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not think 2 would be enough. I know they say recommended spread is 24". But I don't think so. I have 4 A360x's over my 125 gallon (6ft) tank, and I could not imagine having the recommended 3. I still plan to add let t5 supplement lighting soon.

And I too have a center brace

OP
OP
hoju74

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not think 2 would be enough. I know they say recommended spread is 24". But I don't think so. I have 4 A360x's over my 125 gallon (6ft) tank, and I could not imagine having the recommended 3. I still plan to add let t5 supplement lighting soon.

And I too have a center brace
This is my fear. Might have to reconsider my lighting strategy...I just think 3 would be wasteful because of the center brace.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think two would not blend properly and would look more like spotlights. I have a brace in mine as well, it doesn't shade or block as much as you may think. I have them mounted about 6.5" off the top of the water.

hobbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5’ tanks and just added a 4th 360x. I also have 4 T5s. The 4 kessils by themselves get me around 170-240 par throughout the tank. I do not think you will be happy with only 2. I really think these need to be 1 every 12” and add the T5s if you want sticks.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you only ran 2 T5 bulbs on your mixed reef ? I was thinking of doing 2 of the 2 bulb fixtures if I go the hybrid route.

Yes, two T5s plus the two Kessils worked out pretty well. The Kessils will cast enough light left to right to blend nicely, it just wont produce a whole lot of PAR. You can check out this thread to get an idea of what the two Kessils, two Kessils with the two T5s, and ultimately, the two Kessils with the four T5s. The tank is a 75g (48x18x18) so you'll have less PAR at the bottom than what I have but the rest will be very close. A third Kessil over the center brace is absolutely a waste.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 120 4x2x2 tank. I currently use a Aquatic Life hybrid with 2 XR15 G4 pros. If it wasn't for the T5's, I would have serious shadow issues. Whether you use Kessils or Radions the same issue is present.

Kazumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get my 120gal. going, I am planning keeping a very similar mixture of corals. For the lights I have been considering using either 4 of the Noopsyche's or 2 Reefi Duo extremes. Since I am still months away from getting it running, I have plenty of time to figure this out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back