Lighting for 125g

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up my 6ft tank/stand/canopy today. Will be a few months until I buy my lighting, but really curious on this. I see my main option as the T5 fixture by Current. This is the 12bulb x 39watt model.

I really think this is the way I want to go, but want others opinions. To me this sounds like too much light, but I figure with the right bulb configuration it shouldn't be right ?

Thanks for any advice ! :)

Also I've noticed a-lot of people using t5's don't use any white bulbs, forgot who I saw using this, but what would a good combo be ?
Thank you !

Last edited:

jmuzzey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Aquactinics constellation fixture. It is more expensive, but a much better fixture. It uses 14 x39w bulbs, has true individual reflectors, and fans built into the top with an acrylic shield for proper air flow to keep bulbs cool. Lighting is one of those things in this hobby that for the most part, you get what you pay for. It is very important for the animals we keep, so go with the best your budget can afford.

OP
OP
nayrgaijin

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the opinion, I will have to see if my LFS carries that fixture. Working there I can get any fixture they can at a good price :D

jmuzzey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI also makes a good fixture, two different ones. The power module is the more expensive, built a little better, and the sun power is less expensive. I think they both have individual reflectors, but I think the housing, ballasts used, and fan options are different. You may want to check those out as well. From what I hear, they are both built very well, better than the nova extreme, current.

For bulb combo, with 7 bulbs on the constellation, here is what I use, it is a good 20k look.

Front to back,
ATI blue plus
ATI blue special
ATI blue plus
UVL 75/25
ATI blue plus
ATI blue special
ATI blue plus

The blue plus is a blue bulb, but the aquablue special is a white bulb. The UVL 75/25 is a pinkish bulb to help reds, pinks, and oranges pop. With blue only, pinks and reds get washed out. The ATI pro color was too pink for my liking.

OP
OP
nayrgaijin

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since you have a 14 bulb fixture, do you have that sequence going twice ?

I am going to look up and read about both those fixtures you posted now :)
I have a few months to save, so might be worth it to save for one of those.
Thank you for the help !

Hahnmeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do an Icecap retrofit with 5' bulbs... 6 of them run by two Icecap 660's with SLS Tek2 reflectors. 600 watts of T5's thats very bright.

jmuzzey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that combo is run side by side(twice). And the constellation has 3 power switches with three plugs. I use timers, so it allows a nice ramp up in intensity for sunrise to midday to sunset. I love it, plus their customer service is excellent, which is a huge plus in my book.

There are many options in lighting, as I am sure you know. Ice cap does make some good stuff also, I just do not have a canopy over my tank, so no where to hide a retrofit.

jmuzzey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish, they should pay me. I have just gone through 3 different lighting schemes over the last few years on my display tank. I started with outer orbit pro(halide plus T5s), it was okay at best. Then went to 400w ahlides, 3 pendants(electricity bill was through the roof). Then switched to T5s, and have been very happy with them.

If money was no object, I would have stuck with the halides though. I liked them a little better. I still use a 400w pendant over one of my frag tanks, and the color is a little stronger, and growth is slightly faster. The tanks are all plumbed as one system, so I get a good comparison. But the T5s still work very well, and offer much more options for color combinations.

I just hate to see others spend good money on something they either may not be happy with, or to be like me and switch until content.

OP
OP
nayrgaijin

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I may just be saving for one of these fixtures in that case, the Nova seems good to me, but not sure if I will be content. Do you have experience with that fixture ?

CHALICEKEEPER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the nova extreme 48" t5ho 8x54 over my 75gal and i love it getting great growth and it is really bright stock bulbs still but going 2 change out soon for some ati bulbs

OP
OP
nayrgaijin

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you CHALICEKEEPER, some positive feedback on that fixture. :)
Have any pics ? Anyone have pics of their t5 tanks :D

jmuzzey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have experience with the nova extreme. But I do know they use a single reflector that is bent to make it more like individual reflectors. But it is not the same, and you lose some of the light that could go into the tank. You just have to be smarter with coral placement, as you will not get the same punch to the bottom of the tank. After talking with a couple people that have tested every T5 unit on the market, or almost every one, I was told that the ATI fixtures and Constellation fixtures are much better than the nova fixtures. My display tank is 90% sps, so I wanted the most intense lighting I could afford while lowering overall wattage.

OP
OP
nayrgaijin

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know. Glad I don't have to make this decision too soon :)
Do you have any pics of your setup so I can see how bright it is jmuzzey ?

jmuzzey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the unit sitting directly on my tank. Here are two pictures, everyting in this tank(all sps) have been grown from frags. And I am not that good at taking pics, so do nto hold that against me please, lol.

PB040937.jpg

Here it is with a little higher exposure. Colors are washed out in this pic, but it is still bright. This is a 125g.

PB040931.jpg

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the following t5 light fixtures.

Nova Extreme 4 tube - Ran Very Hot.
It was ok for the 75 I had it on with softies.

Nova Extreme Pro 6 tube - Ran the coolest ofthe three lights.
The output was ok. I had it over my 180 for about
8-9 months and currently have it over my frag tank.

Tek Light 8 tube - Runs Hot for a T5 light.
The light output is very good and a noticable improvement
over the 6 tube Nova Extreme Pro (far better reflectors).

I currently run

2 Pure Actinic (violet bulbs)
2 Blue Bulbs
2 10k White bulbs
2 6500k Midday (white) bulbs

I like a 4' light because it lets me put lower
light corals (like mushrooms) on the ends.

when I put the mushrooms in the middle they drew in
away from the light on the ends they open up more

Over my 180
New_FTS.jpg

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back