Lighting for 90 gallon Acropora tank?

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 90 gallon (36x24x24) and am not sure what light fixture/fixtures to run. Currently running an ATI 8-bulb dimmable fixture with 2x24" actinic Sbars attached to the front and back over my 45 gallon and am very happy with the results. Wanted to run something similar on new tank but not sure a 36" 8x39 watt T5 fixture with the strip LEDs would be enough light? A gentlemen on here is selling a Hamilton Cebu Sun 36" fixture with 2x175 watt metal halides and 4x39 watt T5s that I am considering (it's a really good deal too). Do you think this, in conjunction with 2x36" actinic strip LEDs, would give off enough light to grow Acros toward the bottom ? Also, any other lighting suggestions for growing SPS in this tank are welcome (anything but all LED).Thank you for your time!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either of those is fine. 8x or Halides can handle a 24x24 area.

You don't even need the LED except if you want to do some black/trick light viewing. The won't be necessary for growth or coloration.

OP
OP
C

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply jda. Picked up the tank after already paying and discovered that is 30x30x24 rather than the advertised 36x24x24. Not upset but can't run either fixture I was eyeing for it. Leaning towards a 24" Geiseman Spectra with 1 x 400watt halide and 24 watt T5s. I think it will keep my Acros happy. Hopefully I won't need to run a chiller.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply jda. Picked up the tank after already paying and discovered that is 30x30x24 rather than the advertised 36x24x24. Not upset but can't run either fixture I was eyeing for it. Leaning towards a 24" Geiseman Spectra with 1 x 400watt halide and 24 watt T5s. I think it will keep my Acros happy. Hopefully I won't need to run a chiller.

Giesman definitely makes some nice stuff,
Also
You be suprised by how much heat can be scrubbed off with just a lil fan on your sump!

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are interested in LED’s and don’t want to worry about shadowing you may want to look into an orphek atlantik v4 or two. You could get away with one but 2 over that tank would be perfect. And you don’t need any supplemental lights. The nice part about them is they are intended to be 12-16” off the water which will give you a lot more room to work in the tank without having to constantly move the lights.

OP
OP
C

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies. If I go with halides I will definitely run a fan over the sump and one across the top of the tank. I don't mind buying a chiller to have just in case, just don't want to have it running on a regular basis. And the Atlantik V4 is my first choice for LEDs. Not sure it could give me the par I am looking for towards the bottom though (I want 200ish in the sandbed). Also nervous to move my Acros from T5s with supplemental LEDs to all LEDs. I will do a little more research on PAR values and etc. for the Atlantik and may go that route if I can get the spread and PAR of halides without the heat, electric bill and replacement bulbs. The new Reefi LED is an interesting choice too.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth, I have a similar sized tank. The footprint is 30x30, but mine is only 22 inches tall compared to yours, which is 24” tall. I have a Geiseman Spectra unit, and the light spread is great for this size of tank. I run a 250 watt Radium in an M80 ballast (so it’s really like 320 watts or something like that). I did some par mapping recently, and I was getting a par of 250 at the sandbed on the outer edge of the tank. This measurement is with the T5’s on, and the light is mounted 8” over the water line.

I’m hope no one reads this and thinks I’m starting a debate, as I hate the threads that get derailed into a heated lighting debate. There are many fine lighting options that will work great for you, and I’m just letting you know what to expect with a Spectra over that size tank. I even tricked mine out with some Reef Brite LED’s!

DCE690B6-6979-496D-9C44-57E360A82369.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth, I have a similar sized tank. The footprint is 30x30, but mine is only 22 inches tall compared to yours, which is 24” tall. I have a Geiseman Spectra unit, and the light spread is great for this size of tank. I run a 250 watt Radium in an M80 ballast (so it’s really like 320 watts or something like that). I did some par mapping recently, and I was getting a par of 250 at the sandbed on the outer edge of the tank. This measurement is with the T5’s on, and the light is mounted 8” over the water line.

I’m hope no one reads this and thinks I’m starting a debate, as I hate the threads that get derailed into a heated lighting debate. There are many fine lighting options that will work great for you, and I’m just letting you know what to expect with a Spectra over that size tank. I even tricked mine out with some Reef Brite LED’s!

DCE690B6-6979-496D-9C44-57E360A82369.jpeg

Thank you! That is very helpful feedback. If I can achieve those PAR values with a 250 watt bulb that will cut down on the heat and electrical cost of a 400 watt. Pretty sure I am going to copy your fixture (may get Sbars instead due to cost). Do you have to run a chiller?

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! That is very helpful feedback. If I can achieve those PAR values with a 250 watt bulb that will cut down on the heat and electrical cost of a 400 watt. Pretty sure I am going to copy your fixture (may get Sbars instead due to cost). Do you have to run a chiller?

No problem! If you decide to pursue this or want to know more about my par values, just let me know. I do not run a chiller, but my sump is in an unfinished basement where it is nice and cool. My heaters don’t run much during the day, and they usually kick on/off overnight.

For a couple years, I only used the t5’s For a couple hours for sunrise sunset and relied on only the halide for most of the day. Everything was fine. But when I did some par mapping for the first time, I found that the t5’s bumped up the par by 25-50 in most areas, so now I run with everything on. I use the t5’s to try to emphasize the weaker parts of the spectrum emitted by the halide, so I run 1 actinic, one blue plus, one coral plus, and one purple plus. While not needed, I’m hoping that running them more will help even more with coral color. The led’s are just for fun, and they do add a nice pop to the corals even with all the other lights on.

OP
OP
C

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for all the info. Definitely going to pursue this fixture/scoop one up as soon as I find a good deal. It will be a month or more before I move my Acros from their current tank under T5s and LEDs so I am no rush. I do love the pop from actinic LEDs. Also like that I can have a little bit of everything (T5s, halides and LEDs). Now that you have helped me pick a light, any suggestions for aquascaping would be appreciated too ;) I love "cubes", just hard to scape

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C45B7857-6663-4523-9DF3-58655AA6FA0A.png
This is a single V4 on a 24” cube at 18” with the light hung at 12”. I have one and can confirm (I have an apogee 510) that the par is amazing. You could probably get close to 200 on the bottom in the middle with a single fixture. With 2 you could blanket the whole bottom at 24” with more than 200 par

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies. If I go with halides I will definitely run a fan over the sump and one across the top of the tank. I don't mind buying a chiller to have just in case, just don't want to have it running on a regular basis. And the Atlantik V4 is my first choice for LEDs. Not sure it could give me the par I am looking for towards the bottom though (I want 200ish in the sandbed). Also nervous to move my Acros from T5s with supplemental LEDs to all LEDs. I will do a little more research on PAR values and etc. for the Atlantik and may go that route if I can get the spread and PAR of halides without the heat, electric bill and replacement bulbs. The new Reefi LED is an interesting choice too.
I also have a 30 inch deep tank with V4's and can grow anything on the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
C

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the input! I've run black boxes (SB Reef) before and originally loved them but they didn't last too long and created a lot of hot spots. Also don't want to have 2-3 fixtures above the tank. One Orphek seems like it would probably be enough, two is definitely out of my budget anyway. I think I am still leaning toward the Geisemann spectra w/ supplemental LEDs strips but also considering the Atlantik and the Reefi Duo Extreme. I will keep you updated on what I buy and post PAR readings after I have it set up. Thanks again for all of the feedback/suggestions.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back