Lighting for a 20 long

501Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title pretty much says it all, I'm looking to upgrade my par 38 lighting on my 20 long mixed reef . As of right now the plan is 2 AI prime HD. My budget is around $400. What is everyones thoughts? Any cheaper/ better options?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20 long is only 12" deep. Is that what you have?

Then you don't need crazy powerful, not that the AI is really any more powerful than a Mars Aqua. And yes, with the Mars Aqua you do give up some of those features that humans like (but corals couldn't care less about). And 2 would cost less than $200.

If you like having a lot of the bells and whistles (personally I do) consider a 24" Reef Breeders Photon V2+ for $400. It has 6 channels of color control, Cree and Osram 5w and 3w leds, super slimline aluminum case, wide spread array of leds (no hot spots in a shallow tank), full sunrise/sunset ability, easy to use remote control and has both legs and a hanging kit. IMHO it's by far the best value in a full feature led fixture on the market.

20170223_155902.jpg

DharkaronReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20 long is only 12" deep. Is that what you have?

Then you don't need crazy powerful, not that the AI is really any more powerful than a Mars Aqua. And yes, with the Mars Aqua you do give up some of those features that humans like (but corals couldn't care less about). And 2 would cost less than $200.

If you like having a lot of the bells and whistles (personally I do) consider a 24" Reef Breeders Photon V2+ for $400. It has 6 channels of color control, Cree and Osram 5w and 3w leds, super slimline aluminum case, wide spread array of leds (no hot spots in a shallow tank), full sunrise/sunset ability, easy to use remote control and has both legs and a hanging kit. IMHO it's by far the best value in a full feature led fixture on the market.

20170223_155902.jpg
Just curious on why Mars Aqua LEDs aren't that great of a light? I have the 300w unit and are impressed w the colors of the corals.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious on why Mars Aqua LEDs aren't that great of a light? I have the 300w unit and are impressed w the colors of the corals.

Hold on now, I didn't say the Mars Aqua isn't a great fixture, did I?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Mars Aqua fixtures. They are a great value at under $100 for a basic 16" black box led. But then they aren't AI or Radion either, are they?

What I did say is the more expensive fixtures don't make light that is really any better for coral health or growth than a Mars Aqua. If the basic 2 channel, manual dimmer black box fixture is all you want, your corals should be perfectly happy as well. However, if you want built-in on/off timers, or sunrise/sunset control, or 6 channel color control, or wifi control, then you pay more for the fixture. But the quality of the light that the expensive fixture produces is at best only very marginally better than the light produced by the Mars Aqua.

Is that better?

DharkaronReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold on now, I didn't say the Mars Aqua isn't a great fixture, did I?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Mars Aqua fixtures. They are a great value at under $100 for a basic 16" black box led. But then they aren't AI or Radion either, are they?

What I did say is the more expensive fixtures don't make light that is really any better for coral health or growth than a Mars Aqua. If the basic 2 channel, manual dimmer black box fixture is all you want, your corals should be perfectly happy as well. However, if you want built-in on/off timers, or sunrise/sunset control, or 6 channel color control, or wifi control, then you pay more for the fixture. But the quality of the light that the expensive fixture produces is at best only very marginally better than the light produced by the Mars Aqua.

Is that better?
Well said and I agree w you. I see slow coral growth with the Mars Aqua. I recently switched over to ATI T5s. Hopefully will see some different in coral growth. The T5s lighting aren't as colorful as the Mars Aqua. I haven't tried the Radions or AIs yet but wanting to test out these lights before I splurge on more expensive lights.

OP
OP
501Reefer

501Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is a standard 20 long (30x12x12). I am really going for a clean look. This tank is the main focal point in my small apartment living room. The current par 38 bulbs are doing their job I just can't stand the look and not having any control over color With that said I don't need all of the bells and whistles, I'm looking for something that will give me lots of blue.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 104 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back