Lighting for a 375

Krull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 375 gallon custom built tank arriving in the new few weeks with dimensions of 96"(L) x 30"(W) x 30"(H). I'm torn over the lighting and looking for some first hand experience.

First thought was to go with Radion XR30W Gen Pro. Okay, I'll need a minimum of 4 units, and at $800 a pop -- man... that's how much the tank and stand cost me! Geeezzz...

Okay, what about tried and tested Metal Halides?! Ole' faithful! The dinosaurs of reef lighting... Alright, if I do this then I will need a chiller and right back where I started. Nope...

LED and T5 Combo.... Hmmm.... Fewer LEDS -- thats a bonus! Plus, the benefits that lower wattage and broader light spectrum T5's bring to the table. Okay... this brings me back to the dilemma of LEDS. I like the Kessil A360, as it gives great light penetration and a nice shimmer, but I do not like the fact that it's limited to how controllably it is, and I'm not convinced that they are capable of maintaining acro's... Hmmmm..We'll they're half the price of a Radion!!

I still hear controversy over LEDS and there ability to make acro's "pop" with color which makes me think -- Are Radions measuring up to the hype? Are they worth that kind of investment? I don't know....

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, alot of people with that size tank have gone back to using Halides. I don't see why you would need a chiller, unless you have them right on top of the water. In an open ended canopy using fans you would be fine.

Back