Lighting for a 375

Krull

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2014
Messages
90
Reaction score
30
Location
Houston, Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 375 gallon custom built tank arriving in the new few weeks with dimensions of 96"(L) x 30"(W) x 30"(H). I'm torn over the lighting and looking for some first hand experience.

First thought was to go with Radion XR30W Gen Pro. Okay, I'll need a minimum of 4 units, and at $800 a pop -- man... that's how much the tank and stand cost me! Geeezzz...

Okay, what about tried and tested Metal Halides?! Ole' faithful! The dinosaurs of reef lighting... Alright, if I do this then I will need a chiller and right back where I started. Nope...

LED and T5 Combo.... Hmmm.... Fewer LEDS -- thats a bonus! Plus, the benefits that lower wattage and broader light spectrum T5's bring to the table. Okay... this brings me back to the dilemma of LEDS. I like the Kessil A360, as it gives great light penetration and a nice shimmer, but I do not like the fact that it's limited to how controllably it is, and I'm not convinced that they are capable of maintaining acro's... Hmmmm..We'll they're half the price of a Radion!!

I still hear controversy over LEDS and there ability to make acro's "pop" with color which makes me think -- Are Radions measuring up to the hype? Are they worth that kind of investment? I don't know....
 
To be honest, alot of people with that size tank have gone back to using Halides. I don't see why you would need a chiller, unless you have them right on top of the water. In an open ended canopy using fans you would be fine.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new