Lighting for a 8 gallon nano reef tank

badstorm48

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2015
Messages
400
Reaction score
107
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the best lighting to get for a tank like this without killing the wallet? Everything else I have figured out but the lighting. I don't care if it's leds as long as it will make my corals and fish happy.
 
What would be the best lighting to get for a tank like this without killing the wallet? Everything else I have figured out but the lighting. I don't care if it's leds as long as it will make my corals and fish happy.
this is what I use on my reef bowl and its doing great so far. true 35 watts, dimmable, built in fan, great spectrum with UV, great spread.
https://www.21ledusa.com/category_s/1842.htm
 
JBJ Pacifica and Flipper would do the job. I don't have either though. I use their Viper 70W metal halide on my 9 gal, but it looks to be discontinued. Its awesome for my tank though if you look for a used one.
 
this is what that par30 I listed does.

20151129_165608.jpg
20151201_092047_PRESHOT.jpeg
20151202_095522.jpg
20151202_095625.jpg
 
Between the par 30 and the flipper which would be considered better?
 
Between the par 30 and the flipper which would be considered better?
well, heres the stats on the flipper
  • 36 blue & 72 white LED bulbs. Equivalent to 18.9 watts of pl output.
  • Will fit on rimless tanks with a 6 mm maximum thickness

so they are low wattage leds, non dimmable, and only total 18.9 watts... but, it attaches to the side of the tank and looks nifty. so ill give it that.

the par30 is true 35 watts, has a much better spectrum, dimmable, built in fan to keep it cool and costs less. it also has a mount you can get to attach it to the back of your tank.

in my opinion, based on the stats I say the par30 is better.
 
Okay. The problem I have is just I don't know what wattage I need for the tank and what to look for in lighting. It seems like lighting is the most important thing besides filtration but filtration is pretty self explanatory since it will tell you this filter is good for sat 10 to 20 gallons
 
well, wattage doesn't mean a whole lot. but its a good measurement when youre looking at lights as they don't tend to list PAR/PUR. also the spectrum is more important than the wattage as well. however when youre looking at lights you want a combination of watts and a good spectrum. the par30 provides that. also you want a light that is dimmable so you can set it however you want. its easier to have a fixture that can turn the power down than it is to raise or lower the light as needed.

I stand by my recommendation of the par30.
 
Yeah I believe I will go with that light that you recommended. It has everything I need. Now out of curiosity how big of a tank do you think that light could do well with, cause if I could use it later on when ever I decide to get a bigger tank it would be cool if I could use that light. By bigger tank I was thinking a 20 gallon tank.
 
2 lights would do up to a 29 gallon in terms of standard tanks. when you order send them an email and tell them I sent ya.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new