Lighting for Refugium

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sacohen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 8, 2012
Messages
1,421
Reaction score
59
Location
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an approximately 12x12" section of my sump that will be set aside for a fuge.
I plan on just having cheato in there.
I have read that people are using a CFL 6500k bulb in a reflector clamp light from HD or Lowes.

Is there really a difference between that and the specialized Refugium LED's that you see out there like the REEF RADIANCE DM-5e 5 Watt REFUGIUM PAR 30 LED LIGHT?
 
In my biocube, I used the JBJ Nano glo. Now in my sump, I had two fluval day/plant light LED. Using both and the macro is really loving it. Growing like weed.
 
For max chaeto growth, high wattage and low spectrum does best.
Treat it like you are growing weed!
I use a 150w HPS grow light over a 22" cube fuge. Spectrum isn't any more than 3,000k.
I've heard those led units with lots of red work well too, but I haven't tried it.
 
Like noted above, it's a plant and should be treated as such...
 
I have an approximately 12x12" section of my sump that will be set aside for a fuge.
I plan on just having cheato in there.
I have read that people are using a CFL 6500k bulb in a reflector clamp light from HD or Lowes.

Is there really a difference between that and the specialized Refugium LED's that you see out there like the REEF RADIANCE DM-5e 5 Watt REFUGIUM PAR 30 LED LIGHT?
I bought two of these and they didn't do well. I ended up using Kessil 150's on all 3 tanks
 
Just picked up a Kessil H150 and H350 grow lights to play around with on my QT and DT remote fuges.

Had good results using lower kelvin (6500k) LEDs in the past. Interested to see how well these will work.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new