Lighting for wide tank (Cade 1500 Peninsula)

WhenKeepinItReefGoesWrong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting for wide tank

I'm setting up a Cade 1500 peninsula tank which is 60x30x24. I have used Reefbreeders Photons on previous tanks with a lot of success, but the coverage on them is only recommended to 24 inches wide. Ideally I would love to get a ATI 8 bulb fixture, as I love T5 lighting, but the 60 inch version is not dimmable which is a deal breaker.

It seems like almost every light is designed for a 24 inch wide tank, so I am looking for recommendations on what you would do?

Thanks in advance!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pal lighting the same tank as yours for a mixed reef with 4 x Radion XR15 Pro and 2 x AI Blade Glow.

Costly but effective!

I have the Cade 1200 with 3 x Radion XR15 Pro only being very happy with this for LPS mostly.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 1x blade freshwater, 2 grow and 2 glow plus 4x T5s in a canopy in an 1800/p :) if I wasn’t using a canopy I’d go with Stratons probably since I like them and have them also.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATI has 2 channels for the bulbs right? Somewhat of a dimmer. I never understood dimming T5s, but to each their own... just let those babies shine.

If you don't want the T5s, then 2 rows of the Photons? Reflectors and MH are what many use for larger tanks... or two rows of LEDs.

If you just plan on having rock in 24 inches of the tank, then move a single row of something over the rock and let the rest have less light. This gets hard if you want to fill the sand in the front of the tank with corals even if there is no rock.

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pulled the trigger yesterday on the Cade 1500. I am trying to figure out the lighting and have been all over the place…lol. Hopefully you have figured your system out and have it running seamlessly. I am also still trying to figure out what skimmer and roller to use as well…it seems (from my research) that the ClariSea SK-5000 is the roller that many with the 1500 are using (I guess because it fits without modifications).

What say you (or any other Cade owners)?

Any and all comments welcome!

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a big tank but my first thoughts would be either 3 24" photons sideways, or if you did a photon along the length could you add supplemental t5 bars on either side to expand the width?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we may need to know what type of corals. Have you looked into Reefi uno 2.0 pros? 3 with 120 reflectors would cover it well. They are capable of 270w. I have mine on a 28x28x24 tank and they have a pretty even spread, mine are about 11" off the water surface. 10" down at 120ish w I have high 100par low 200 par across 12 spots I measured.

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefi uno 2.0 x 3
I am liking what I am reading about the ReeFi Uno. Are yours mounted on the arms or do you have a mounted and suspended above the tank? It doesn’t look like the mounting arms will fold up and out-of-the-way like the red sea mounting brackets work…which seems like it would be a nice feature when trying to clean the tank or do other stuff.

How often are you powering them up to full power, or is it mostly something that you tone down?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am liking what I am reading about the ReeFi Uno. Are yours mounted on the arms or do you have a mounted and suspended above the tank? It doesn’t look like the mounting arms will fold up and out-of-the-way like the red sea mounting brackets work…which seems like it would be a nice feature when trying to clean the tank or do other stuff.

How often are you powering them up to full power, or is it mostly something that you tone down?
I know this was not directed at me. Mine are mounted in my canopy. I have looked at the arms Reefi offers for another project though. They are extruded aluminum and seem pretty bare bones. They dont appear to have a hinge point. I also dont think 100% on these would be wise except on the biggest of tanks or mounted really high. They real push out some par numbers. I tried them before corals went in at 200w I had over 600par at the bottom of the tank with the 120 reflectors. They had 70w more to go.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry but I can't answer any of your questions, as I do not own a reefi.

Had I known these lights existed I would not have bought a blade grow. Got me back in the hobby though.

For what it's worth I stopped researching lighting when I found reefi.

I think reefi would work really well with a floating canopy as you can mount them pretty high.

I'll post a review if and when I can pick one up.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Had I known these lights existed I would not have bought a blade grow. Got me back in the hobby though.

I think reefi would work really well with a floating canopy as you can mount them pretty high.

Blades are great lights also. I came back in to the hobby after 12 or so years and that was the first light I got. Worked great for the tank I had.

These Reefi are really nice! I am glad I took the chance. I have no idea how long it will last but so far I really can't say much bad about it. The web interface took a bit for a dummy like me. Other then that build quality, size, coverage, par out put, color rendition, adjustability (maybe too much) it's all great so far. The moon phase thing, I didn't think I'd use it love it when I'm still awake lol. Haven't messed with cloud cover yet. Acclimating to my desired output currently did a 30 day started at 70%.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya the blades are pretty cool.

To the op: you could run a few blades, I use one but would still recommend reefi.
20240208_182232~2.jpg

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this was not directed at me. Mine are mounted in my canopy. I have looked at the arms Reefi offers for another project though. They are extruded aluminum and seem pretty bare bones. They dont appear to have a hinge point. I also dont think 100% on these would be wise except on the biggest of tanks or mounted really high. They real push out some par numbers. I tried them before corals went in at 200w I had over 600par at the bottom of the tank with the 120 reflectors. They had 70w more to go.
Thanks 20leagues…..

Daniel from ReeFi contacted me and told me about their 3D-printed 2040 bar mount system. I am wondering how difficult it would be to modify a different lighting bar assembly to mount the refi lights to? I’m sure it’s not rocket surgery, but you know these manufacturers like to build things in such a proprietary manner that it makes it impossible to use other products on their products…if you know what I mean!?

Daniel is really good at getting back to you in a expeditious manner which is encouraging to see from a manufacturer to say the least!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks 20leagues…..

Daniel from ReeFi contacted me and told me about their 3D-printed 2040 bar mount system. I am wondering how difficult it would be to modify a different lighting bar assembly to mount the refi lights to? I’m sure it’s not rocket surgery, but you know these manufacturers like to build things in such a proprietary manner that it makes it impossible to use other products on their products…if you know what I mean!?

Daniel is really good at getting back to you in a expeditious manner which is encouraging to see from a manufacturer to say the least!
That is one reason I went with his lights. I asked a couple questions and he drew something up in a cad program to help explain. He is very good at customer service. He can print a 3d mount for the unit to attach to other arms not sure 100% if it was the red sea ones or not. At least I think its him if not I'm sure he can direct you to something or someone that can help.

jermzisurmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting for wide tank

I'm setting up a Cade 1500 peninsula tank which is 60x30x24. I have used Reefbreeders Photons on previous tanks with a lot of success, but the coverage on them is only recommended to 24 inches wide. Ideally I would love to get a ATI 8 bulb fixture, as I love T5 lighting, but the 60 inch version is not dimmable which is a deal breaker.

It seems like almost every light is designed for a 24 inch wide tank, so I am looking for recommendations on what you would do?

Thanks in advance!
The nicrew 150 I believe is maxed at 30x30 don't take my word for it tho....

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 inch tank say 1/2" glass so tank is 29" inside. That's only 2. 5 inches not getting lit. Do you really need to have light all the way to the front and rear glass? I mean I guess if your going to be packing sps all over the rock maybe. I'm just thinking out loud as I'm setting up a 84x30x25 tank now and am bringing my my current lighting over from my 72x24x24 tank, 6 noopsyche k7 III pro. I run the lights long wise front to back.

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one reason I went with his lights. I asked a couple questions and he drew something up in a cad program to help explain. He is very good at customer service. He can print a 3d mount for the unit to attach to other arms not sure 100% if it was the red sea ones or not. At least I think its him if not I'm sure he can direct you to something or someone that can help.
After basically researching non-stop these last few days and flipping and flopping in bed at night...lol...I finally pulled the trigger and bought (3) of the ReeFi Uno 2.0's last night. I am going to go with the bar mount system initially and see how I like it. ReeFi's lights are top-notice and I can't stress how nice it is to be able to communicate with someone at a company, not to mention the actual owner, and have your questions answered within minutes (in many cases).

*sorry to hijack the thread!

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After basically researching non-stop these last few days and flipping and flipping in bed at night...lol...I finally pulled the trigger and bought (3) of the ReeFi Uno 2.0's last night. I am going to go with the bar mount system initially and see how I like it. ReeFi's lights are top-notice and I can't stress how nice it is to be able to communicate with someone at a company, not to mention the actual owner, and have your questions answered within minutes (in many cases).
I know we've kinda hijacked ops thread but keep me in the loop on how you like them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back