Lighting Problem

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200 gal mixed reef tank which measures 7' long x 2' wide x 2' deep. I have a self made volcano in the middle of the tank, which releases an air surge every 5 minutes depending on how i set the air pump flow. The purpose of this is to create a wave maker and it looks cool. I am planning to have zoah garden cover the volcano in time.

There is the problem and all ideas-suggestions are appreciated, I need more lighting in the center of the tank for the zoahs.
On the top of the tank there is a 1/2 inch thick x 2 ft wide x 23 inch wide glass support brace. The glass support brace also get splashed with tank water each time the volcano erupts which causes a drip rain effect. This also creates algae and salt to build up under the glass support over time, which I can clean as needed.

Is there a way to add-attach lighting for the zoahs to the underside of the glass support which is constantly wet ?

Is there lighting that i can rest on top of the support glass which will pernitrate the 1/2" thick glass ?

My current lighting is (2) x 72" current loop lights and (1) Kassel A-80 tuna blue at each end of the tank.

Anyway I need to find a way to get more lighting to the zoah on this volcano.

1623086022685.png

1623086133115.png

1623086179679.png

1623086218609.png

1623086258765.png

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a tank with a center brace like that. Interesting.
Zoas can thrive under just about any lighting conditions, so I'm thinking that they'd be fine with whatever light is getting through.

ljc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200 gal mixed reef tank which measures 7' long x 2' wide x 2' deep. I have a self made volcano in the middle of the tank, which releases an air surge every 5 minutes depending on how i set the air pump flow. The purpose of this is to create a wave maker and it looks cool. I am planning to have zoah garden cover the volcano in time.

There is the problem and all ideas-suggestions are appreciated, I need more lighting in the center of the tank for the zoahs.
On the top of the tank there is a 1/2 inch thick x 2 ft wide x 23 inch wide glass support brace. The glass support brace also get splashed with tank water each time the volcano erupts which causes a drip rain effect. This also creates algae and salt to build up under the glass support over time, which I can clean as needed.

Is there a way to add-attach lighting for the zoahs to the underside of the glass support which is constantly wet ?

Is there lighting that i can rest on top of the support glass which will pernitrate the 1/2" thick glass ?

My current lighting is (2) x 72" current loop lights and (1) Kassel A-80 tuna blue at each end of the tank.

Anyway I need to find a way to get more lighting to the zoah on this volcano.

1623086022685.png

1623086133115.png

1623086179679.png

1623086218609.png

1623086258765.png
Hello, I have this exact tank and stand. How is it holding up? I just purchased mine used and I must say once the tank was in place and I looked more closely at the stand, it made me wonder if it was sturdy enough. Have you had any issues? The center "brace" is perplexing to me as well. I guess it's structural by holding the front and back molding together. I'm interested to hear if you had any solutions to the lighting issues?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d take the glass out and mount lights say 18”-24” above the water line so they are not splashed by the eruption and you will never need to clean and the intensity will not change.

OP
OP
Kevin Finocchiaro

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have this exact tank and stand. How is it holding up? I just purchased mine used and I must say once the tank was in place and I looked more closely at the stand, it made me wonder if it was sturdy enough. Have you had any issues? The center "brace" is perplexing to me as well. I guess it's structural by holding the front and back molding together. I'm interested to hear if you had any solutions to the lighting issues?
The Oceanic is a well made tank, I don't know if they are still in business. I purchased my tank around 1989 and never had any issues with it. I moved this tank 3 different times over the years. The only issue is the newer tanks are rimless so the newer equipment is made for rimless tanks, so keeping that in mind some equipment may need to be reconsidered or modifications may need to be made.

The stand is also well made and again no issues, however, we did re-stain the wood around 25 years ago and is should do it again. I would suggest to get some 4x4's and make a frame for the under the stand, and then set the stand on top of the 4x4's. That will give you 4 more inches inside the stand. also get some heavy plastic and staple it to the top of the 4x4 frame, basically making a plastic bowl inside the stand, this will prevent any water leaks from getting on to your floor by basically catching any leaking water.

The glass support center brace was used to hold the ends of two heavy glass lids and the original two tank lights which were not bright enough for corals. Anyway, right now I am using 2 duel 72 in loop lights with a A80 Tuna blue at each end. I would like to get something brighter and if i did not have the loop lighting already, I would try two of the new Neptune sun lights.

My sump is inside the stand, which is basically a 50 gal aquarium converted to a sump and over the years I change it from a wet try sump to a more chambered sump. This issue is the only way to remove the sump is from the top of the stand which means removing the aquarium, so currently any issues with the sump, must be deal with under the stand. I also am considering setting up a bigger newer sump in another room for easier access and modifications.

1624237475415.png

1624237527984.png

1624237571578.png

1624237634659.png

OP
OP
Kevin Finocchiaro

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d take the glass out and mount lights say 18”-24” above the water line so they are not splashed by the eruption and you will never need to clean and the intensity will not change.
The center glass I think is a support due to the 7 ft length of the tank.

Right after I made the volcano (wave maker) I had to move it under the glass to prevent the water from splashing out of the tank. The volcano releases approx 2 liters of air at one time for each eruption so it pushes the water pretty high.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 bulb T5 the whole tank and anything will grow, glass or not.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back