Lighting question

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 36w LED Cetus2 lights. How do I tell if my lighting is to strong or to weak?

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can purchase, rent, or borrow a par meter - or maybe find some published measurements on depths similar to your tank
Or you can infer by how your corals react to the light - bleaching, browning, stretching, etc

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to get a light meter... there is really no other way to tell. Weak lights can look strong to our eyes and strong lights can look weak.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you experiencing any issues in your tank that you think may be related to your lights? if so, please share them and we can help accordingly.

As for the "strength" of your lights, this thread has a PAR chart attached for the same lights as yours. Give it a look ; chances are that it is useless for you though!

As the others say, borrow or rent a PAR meter either from a fellow reefer or from your LFS.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all of the help. I bought one last night and will check it. I feel that the lights are strong enough but we've been having issues with some of our stony corals.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all of the help. I bought one last night and will check it. I feel that the lights are strong enough but we've been having issues with some of our stony corals.
A feeling is never quite enough when it comes to light sadly; if you are struggling with your corals you're struggling for a reason. It may not be the lights- but the only way to rule it in or out is to measure it! :)

I hope you manage to get it all dialled in! :)

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A feeling is never quite enough when it comes to light sadly; if you are struggling with your corals you're struggling for a reason. It may not be the lights- but the only way to rule it in or out is to measure it! :)

I hope you manage to get it all dialled in! :)
So I bought a PAR meter and sure enough 6" below the light PAR is 500. Lights are mounted 6 1/2" above water line. Tank is 21 1/2" deep.

16" below the waterline par is 60 give or take. About 19" par is 50. Bottom of the tank PAR is 35 to 45 depending on whether or not there is film buildup on top of the water.

All Figures used were based on 100% power in all modes combined to achieve this result. 100% power in just the blue/purple or white/red/green setting cuts these numbers in half. The white shade is a little stronger than the blue shade.

I used 6 32W CETUS LED lights I bought off of Amazon.

Going to 3 165W rectangular lights, I'll check back in with my findings and post a picture of them after installed.

Posting this info because this would have been useful to me before I bought the lights.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 190 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back