Selecting a Light: Cetus2

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking to get back into the SW hobby. Some of the corals I am looking at are
Tubs Montipora Stellata
Green Start Polyp
Green mushroom
Blue Stylophora
Green Birdsnest
Firework Clove Polyps
Gorgonian

My tank is 36”x12”x12”. There will be an AIO which is about 4” long. About a 1/3 of the tank will be a selection of macros which will get a cetus2 freshwater light so let’s say there will be about 20” of coral space.

I’ve been researching into potential lights. Some have recommended T5s but I don’t like how ugly they are and how often the bulbs need to be replaced. Some have recommended the AI prime but then I have to buy several of them and it gets to be expensive.

One thing I’ve been looking at is the Cetus2 Reef light. I was able to pull some data for it (https://reefs.com/cetus-2-ceiling-light-for-nanoreef-par-measurement-in-only-60-watt/). Attached is a chart pulled from this site as well as the PAR chart from the manufacturer.

It’s about $180 or so per light and I’d likely get 2. Is this something that would be suitable for the types of corals I am looking at? I’ve included an overall pic of the look I’m going for. Some of the corals have changed in the pic, for example, I’m no longer looking at torches but you’ll get the understanding

Thanks for your help in advance.

124C8FD4-A806-4C0F-A066-096808BA0941.jpeg C2EDCFF4-91FF-4B78-958F-6DCF7570DA07.jpeg CAE92308-E868-4BC2-940D-8926AC7BC513.jpeg

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally never heard of the lights you are looking at. With the exception of birdsnest, I dont think any of the corals that you are looking into are overly difficult (or expensive) needing a higher end lighting fixture. As this is the case, I would say based on the literature posted, the lights should generally be sufficient cateris paribis for what you are asking of them.

I would also take a look at the Noopsyche lights. Pretty cheap and have done very well by me.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back