Lighting questions

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi this is my first saltwater tank and I have some questions cause my lfs gave me both answers. So my tank is a 60 gallon (not a cube) I know it's 48 long. It's been running for almost a year and been getting good soft and Lps growth. The lights are 2 current usa orbit marine pro led with loop running a little higher than 14k. I just put a blasto and a small green slimer acro in. So my question is with those lights do I have enough par? My lfs said yes I do as these are the pro and said no. I'm confused

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have experience with that brand. Having said this, if you look at the Orbit Marine website for the leds you describe, there is a light spectrum graph that shows a par between 70-120 at a depth of 6-9 inches. That I assume is with the lights running at 100%. With the caveat that PAR is not everything for coral growth, it seems that those levels may be to low for acros.
My $0.02. Others may have different opinions.

OP
OP
01xp

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it I think the you saw the specs for the none pro These are the lights I have I ordered them direct from current
They say at 6-9 par is 220-190...

What do you mean par isn't everything? That's all I hear people saying. I'm also adding 14ml of all-for-reef as well thanks

OP
OP
01xp

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to give a heads up.... the led pro is a lot of light... I accidentally bleached a green slimer ooops

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to give a heads up.... the led pro is a lot of light... I accidentally bleached a green slimer ooops

Sorry to break it to you, but lights most likely werent the main reason you bleached your coral. Those lights use 0.5W LEDs and should be used for shallow tanks and low light corals, which SPS are definitely not. PAR of 220 at the top may be barely enough to keep SPS alive. With all that said, if frag came from aquarium that used different spectrum, and intensity, and you had your lights at 100% and put frag right at the top, it could bleach. Again, it wasnt because light is too strong, but because every coral needs to be acclimated properly to new lights.

And of course there are water parameters, temp and so on that can cause bleaching too, so I wouldnt be too quick to think it was just lights that did it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back