Lighting questions

pcorpion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use a radion xr 30 to light up my Red Sea nano max peninsular. It’s the 26 gal tank . Would this be way to much overkill?

nick7948

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use a radion xr 30 to light up my Red Sea nano max peninsular. It’s the 26 gal tank . Would this be way to much overkill?

I think spread may be your bigger issue if you go with a xr15. I use a similar rated fixture (Neptune Sky) on my 25 gallon tank. It's an acro-only tank (just frags) and I get good PAR (for SPS) under the light but towards the side it gets closer to LPS par. All frags are about 3 inches from the bottom. I assume you're going to have rock and so forth so they'll be higher up, so xr30 may be overkill. I think spread will be an issue for most people with a xr15, but it really depends on your coral types. If it's all softies and LPS then I'm not sure. I previously had a xr15 but had too many issues with Mobius, thus switch to the Sky. I never had a chance to measure par.

I don't mind measuring my par tonight on the sides and middle at a few different heights if you want. I assume it would be similar to a xr30. If interested let me know and tell me the height points. (from top down)

OP
OP
P

pcorpion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what up nick. Thanks for the response . Please post a pic of the new sky lighting up your corals or frags . i would like to see the spectrum and would like to know do you lose the shimmering effect with those lights ? Thanks brother.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already own the light, why not? You'll probably want to turn it down a bit and verify with a par measurement (I recommend the photone app. It got my tank into the par ballpark which was good enough for me.)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back