Lighting questions

matt r.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefer, have a question for everyone. I'm setting up a new 210 gallon aqueon reef ready tank, and am could use some help deciding on best lights as far as what brand, Size and how many? Spacing and height would be helpful as well. Im hoping to be having just a few sps corals, probably top center, and lots of softies and zoos, several torches, my Christmas tree worm rock, plus 1 bubbletip now, and possibly a carpet nem later ( if I can find a nice blue one??) The pictures below are my current 75 gallon, and all of this will eventually be moved to the new tank as well. All answers are welcome and thanks for all your help.

20221201_160400.jpg 20221201_160351.jpg 20221201_160342.jpg

Cichlid23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a bit biased towards eco marine Radion lights, especially the pro version. I’ve ran quite a lot of lights for many years and they seems to give me the best color, growth, spread, and just overall healthy corals. Expensive but you get what you pay for. But their is so many other good brands. AI is very similar just not as good spread, kessial is very popular for great light on a budget, reef breeders have the best light in my opinion for the price if Bluetooth doesn’t matter to you, still great control and schedules you can program. Orphex is the last light brand I think should get a shout out. Mainly used to light huge aquariums and in farm systems. As for where to place them and how many to get, definitely go watch some BRS videos, they have plenty about different brands.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you currently using? Are you happy with them?
Could you possibly just add to your existing light so you don’t have to buy all new?
If looking for budget lights I use Noo-Psyche K7 V3 lights and am happy with them.
If looking for high end I can’t help much since I’ve never used any of them.

OP
OP
M

matt r.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using a combo of 1 AI 52 and 2 kessil 360x tuna blue. I am very familiar with Ai, as I had the 26s for a few years, and I do like them a lot, but for some unknown to me reason, I can no longer connect and program them? Which is why I'm looking for some other options. The kessils... not a fan. As soon as I put them in play, my corals stopped opening as wide, and even now after over a year with them, the growth is much less. My lfs had a pair of noopsyche a while back, but they too had problems that they were unable to figure out, so I probably won't try those. And again, ty for your replies, I do appreciate it. This is my new money pit next to my current one lol

Attachments

• 20221031_145915.jpg
    20221031_145915.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
M

matt r.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading about the reef breeders, which I won't be able to use, I have to add that I don't have any wifi, so any lights will have to be controlled by either just a phone app or preferably their own remote controller

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%

Back