Lighting recommendation

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have 75 gallon tank, 48" long 24" tall 18" deep. I was thinking of getting the Current USA Orbit IC LED lights (the 48" one). Would that be sufficient lighting to grow soft corals? It was suggested to my by my LFS to purchase 2 of the LED lights, would that be too much lighting? Thank you for your time.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a 48 inch light bar then you only need one. If you were going to purchase 2 then you might as well step up to AI or Kessil lights for the amount of money being spent. That light should work with easy/moderate soft corals.

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a pair of those lights on my 45 cube. One light was sufficient for some soft corals, but I needed two to keep hard corals. Also your tank is pretty shallow which is good for these lights because they aren’t the most powerful.

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a pair of those lights on my 45 cube. One light was sufficient for some soft corals, but I needed two to keep hard corals. Also your tank is pretty shallow which is good for these lights because they aren’t the most powerful.

Do you have the IC Pro model that comes with two light bars? If so, how has your soft coral growth been with these lights?

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ve got the IC pro, but I bought them individually. The only softies I have are zoa/palys. The growth has been pretty good I’d say. Some of the zoas were reaching for light in the lower parts of my tank until I got the second light bar. My tank is deeper than yours though

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ve got the IC pro, but I bought them individually. The only softies I have are zoa/palys. The growth has been pretty good I’d say. Some of the zoas were reaching for light in the lower parts of my tank until I got the second light bar. My tank is deeper than yours though

Sorry I’m mistaken. I’ve got the IC led series. Not the pro series

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the current orbits (4) for my 180. These lights are fine for softies, monti’s, acans, but most Chalices and Acros don’t do well. Once I switched to ATI 8- bulb 5 footer, all my corals have much better growth.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above unless you are doing just the one light bar then it doesn't make sense to do these lights. A Pair of Kessil 160 or AI Prime HDs would be right around the same price as two of these and give you way more bang for buck.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 41 43.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back