Lighting recommendations for 40 gallon tank

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2012
Messages
12,807
Reaction score
3,714
Location
Wandering somewhere in NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm beginning to plan my seahorse tank, but I'm not sure what lighting to go with. I will only keep soft corals, like zoas, and macroalgae in the tank.
 
There are lots of different options. What type of lighting (LED, T5, MH) are you going for and what is your budget?
 
There are lots of different options. What type of lighting (LED, T5, MH) are you going for and what is your budget?

MH is out of the question due to the heat, since the tank will be for seahorses. I am leaning more toward LED. As far as budget, I'm not sure. I don't want to go with a high end fixture because I don't have the need for it. I am not going to have corals with high light demands. I want to get a fixture that will support soft corals, photosynthetic gorgonians and macroalgae.
 
I was going to recommend one or two value fixtures from Reef Radiance. I have one on my 45 gallon cube and it's more than enough light for it. The 180 would also be a good choice from what I've heard.
 
2 KESSIL 150's

Or

2 KESSIL 350W


I have a 150 over JBJ 30g and it's great.

I have a 350W over our 20 g frag and all frags are looking really good and growing.
 
LED with dimmers will never do you wrong ! The corals will tell you what they like assuming you don't have a par meter at your convenience


Sleep eat work reef repeat !!!
 
The Kessil 350w or 360w would be a great option for the tank. These LED's are beautiful and the shimmer is magnificient!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new