Lighting Recommendations for New IM 170 EXT

Cameron Smolinske

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
29
Reaction score
18
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for recommendations for new lights for a new tank that I am working on switching over to from my current 100 gallon system.

New tank dimensions are 59" x 30" x 21.7" and I am working towards a mixed reef stocking for corals.

Honed in on the Reefi Uno 2.1 which I believe I will need 3 of to get proper coverage but I am open to other suggestions at this point.

I have been rocking AI Hydra 52 HDs for almost 10 years now so switching to another lights feels like a big hill to climb.

Any suggestions anyone can give me would be great! Thanks!
 
Reefi's are excellent fixtures from the feedback I've seen. I can recommend the below:

3x kessil A360s for superior shimmer and coral color development: https://amzn.to/4rWLcm5

or for a budget-friendly approach, 2x Noopsyche K7: https://noopsychereeflight.com/prod...Y9Wkos6DfEZaUD_FRTFTe7K6OG10UvEb1bMTAoCSwKq_M

I know a lot of folks also have good experiences with Reefbreeders, and those fixtures are more rectangular for broader coverage without multiple fixtures. Depends on your preference for fixtures aesthetics, shimmer, etc.
 
Last edited:
I like the Uno's. I have 3 radion knockoffs over my 170 mounted sideways for better coverage. I like the larger profile for less shadowing. I have another tank with g4 radions and they work as well.

I do think it depends on what you want to keep. If you want an acro tank, Kessel 360's won't throw enough par at low levels.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new