Lighting Recommendations Needed for 100G Cube

  • Thread starter Thread starter RobertN
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RobertN

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2015
Messages
190
Reaction score
58
Location
San Fernando Valley, Southern California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All--
I have a 100g cube with a canopy that opens in the front and slides forward and back a few inches in each direction. The dimensions are: Ht: 24"; Width: 30"; Depth: 30". I currently have 2 cheapy LED strips that were put in by the guy who I bought the tank from and who set up the tank for me. There is one strip with alternating blue and white lights that runs the width of the tank and is set back from the front by 12". The other strip is just blue lights and that strip is 9" further back from the first strip. The inside surface of the canopy is 8" from the water surface.
I am a total newbie/moron about lighting--terminology and various options are still something that easily confuse and overwhelm me. But I am trying to learn. One very experienced store owner who came over to look at my tank and help me with learning to test the water said my lights were woefully insufficient. He suggested I get 3 Kessel 160W lights.
I am starting to look investigate what I could get to replace the 2 LED strips. I wanted to know if you folks could offer any suggestions of what I could use and why. I know the issues are the light being able to get to the bottom of a tank with a 30" depth, the presence of the canopy as it affects the distance of the lights from the water (spread, heat, water splashing on bulbs, too much light for corals closer to the upper portion of the tank), the type of corals I want to grow (I don't currently have any acros with these cheap LED's--even Montiporas that I tried didn't do well--but I am hoping to possibly put a few into the tank if I can get better lighting). I currently have a fairly varied mix of non-SPS corals.
Money to spend on lighting isn't unlimited for me, so putting out $1200 or more is not feasible.
 
I think you could get away with a Kessil A360W. It's designed for a 24x24" foot print, but you can mount it higher and run it at a stronger intensity.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new