Lighting schedule help.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, unfortunately, a PAR meter is not in the budget, at least not until after Christmas (I may pick up a Seneye then), and until then I'd like a bit of help setting up a lighting schedule for my Fluval Flex 32.5G w/ 2 AI Prime HD's (Last gen, not the 16's).

I have the Prime HD's mounted about 8" Off the surface of the water, and the tank is about 15.5" deep. I looked at the Signature schedules on AI's website but read somewhere on here that Saxby has a ton of lights, as does Bertram, which is why their power is so low. The only person who comes close to my setup is Vazquez, but she's using a single prime over a 28G Cube, and I'm not really wanting to burn any of my corals by running things too high.

My corals:
Zoanthids
Pulsing Xenia
Blastomussa
Duncan
Acan/Micro Lord
Candycane/Trumpet
Firework Clove Polyps
Psammocora

Also have a Gbta and a carpet nem.

All corals, with the exception of the Psammocora occupy the lower 1/3 of the tank, the Psammocora is about 1/2 way up. The GBTA hasn't really found a happy home in the tank yet but is currently in the lower section of the top half of the tank, and the carpet nem has chosen a spot on the sandbed.

If anyone has percentage targets or advice it would be appreciated. Currently I have sunrise starting at 6am and finishing at 8am, and sunset starting at 5pm and ending at 7pm, and I'm using the AB+ spectrum settings shared in a BRS Video. I've had the lights about a week, and all the corals are opened up way more than they ever were on the previous lights, but I don't want to burn them if I'm running too high.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found these on another thread. I don’t use these lights but the corals will let you know if they’re happy. Observation is key!
FD61330B-5023-4C8A-8BDF-059395F1B18C.png

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found these on another thread. I don’t use these lights but the corals will let you know if they’re happy. Observation is key!
Yeh, right now like I said in my initial post, all of the corals look puffy and happy, but it's only been a week, so I don't really know if they like it, and from what I've read, 15" deep water and these lights might actually bleach them out if I'm not careful, so trying to see if there's any advice. Those setting you posted are for the 16HD's which I think have 2 extra LED chips, not sure how much that makes a difference, but I am using the BRS Settings on them currently, I just don't have a PAR meter to tell what the PAR is at depth.

How deep is that 20? do you know? that lighting looks similar to mine but I do have some of them overdriven (per the BRSTV Investigates Prime HD video)

Edit: (I think if it's the redsea Nano 20 it's a depth of 18, so I may be running too hot on my lights)

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the thread I pulled the info from

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the setting I used on a mixed reef with around the same depth:
V: 80
UV: 65
B: 95
RB: 95
R: 4
G: 4
W: 20
M: 0

I just used the east setup and ran a total 12 hour photoperiod with a 2 hour ramp up/down (so 8 hours at full intensity). I found that all of my corals, including an RBTA responded positively, no stretching for light and no bleaching or retracting either. You can play around with it suit your tastes, but that’s what I found worked best for me/my tank.

Back