Lighting Spectrum Question

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something that I've been wondering about without knowing how to shorten my question to simple keywords. Does a blended spectrum change available energy for photosynthetic plants and critters versus the individual contributions from each wavelength? I understand the concept of PAR/PUR/j/mol and that certain wavelengths are more usable to corals and plants based on what type of chlorophylls/plasts they have. I just personally can't stand the look of actinic light and am trying to figure out if it is fine for the health of my tank if I adjust the color to what I'd like.

If you are running 10 Watts of Blue/Violet/UV and 2 watts of white light versus 10 Watts of Blue/VIolet/UV and 5 watts of white, is there any loss in contribution from the Blue/Violet/UV because of the addition of the white?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something that I've been wondering about without knowing how to shorten my question to simple keywords. Does a blended spectrum change available energy for photosynthetic plants and critters versus the individual contributions from each wavelength? I understand the concept of PAR/PUR/j/mol and that certain wavelengths are more usable to corals and plants based on what type of chlorophylls/plasts they have. I just personally can't stand the look of actinic light and am trying to figure out if it is fine for the health of my tank if I adjust the color to what I'd like.

If you are running 10 Watts of Blue/Violet/UV and 2 watts of white light versus 10 Watts of Blue/VIolet/UV and 5 watts of white, is there any loss in contribution from the Blue/Violet/UV because of the addition of the white?
Light wavelengths do not change with the addition of other wavelengths. 395nm uv will still be 395nm uv for as far as it can penetrate the medium it is lighting. 'White' light is just a blend of several wavelengths. So you are not 'subtracting' blue, you are just adding green, yellow, and red.

Think of it like mixing saltwater and adding more calcium, you're not making the water less salty, you're just adding a different element to the mix

OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the answer. I suppose that is what I expected but I guess the reason why it wasn't clicking is because I see what seems like the majority of tanks radiating an unholy deep shade of blue. While what looks good is in the eye of the beholder, I figured whiter lighting would be what people prefer if it wasn't at the sake of the health of their coral.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends. If you're blasting a coral with light and the maximum rate of photosynthesis has been reached (the saturation point) then spectral quality becomes a moot point. In general, the saturation point for corals in 300-400 microMol/m2/sec. If light intensity is below this point, PUR comes into play. Again - generally - violet/blue wavelengths are most efficient. *Some* red is OK but too much can affect zoox densities/chlorophyll content. What lighting are you considering is probably the best question.

OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hydra 32HD so nothing crazy, I set it to one of the more popular profiles and it just wasn't visually appealing to me. As long as it didnt harm the health of my tank I planned on taking the base profile and mixing in a bit more white to make it look more like a natural light source and not a new flavor of mountain dew.

OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hydra 32HD so nothing crazy, I set it to one of the more popular profiles and it just wasn't visually appealing to me. As long as it didnt harm the health of my tank I planned on taking the base profile and mixing in a bit more white to make it look more like a natural light source and not a new flavor of mountain dew.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the answer. I suppose that is what I expected but I guess the reason why it wasn't clicking is because I see what seems like the majority of tanks radiating an unholy deep shade of blue. While what looks good is in the eye of the beholder, I figured whiter lighting would be what people prefer if it wasn't at the sake of the health of their coral.

Personal preferences w/ some tradeoffs here an there..
historically the "old school" Iwasaki 6500k MH was err.. "king"..
Point is "people" currently prefer blue..

Light1.jpg

The way I look at it is there is no point in sacrificing your enjoyment for things that may or may not be relevant.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15k allday would be great on that light corals will love it especially sps and acans

U

User1

View Badges
It depends. If you're blasting a coral with light and the maximum rate of photosynthesis has been reached (the saturation point) then spectral quality becomes a moot point. In general, the saturation point for corals in 300-400 microMol/m2/sec. If light intensity is below this point, PUR comes into play. Again - generally - violet/blue wavelengths are most efficient. *Some* red is OK but too much can affect zoox densities/chlorophyll content. What lighting are you considering is probably the best question.

Didn't you also have something, article, post/thread on the lime/green spectrum? I was searching for it the other day since the new G5's came out but couldn't find it or know what to search on...go figure.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%

Back