Lighting upgrade

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running a 30 cube. It is doing very well but have some zoas stretching in the middle of the tank. Currently running ai prime and it covers majority, but I think I need to pack a little more punch! Any recommendations? I thought about getting an additional prime..

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a tough size. Ordinarily I would suggest a t5 retro to add diffuse light but that is not a good size for it.

Another prime might be a good bet. Or step up to a hydra 26 and sell your existing prime one or other.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, well your right, the choice would be to add a second one or look at a little more powerful fixture.

Here's the AI computer/Par Bot. You can compare the light output of their fixtures. http://www.aquaillumination.com/science/par.html

In either case, Id look at a LUX meter(par too, but in this instance Id say a lux meter. Measure intensity you have now, match color(that's why you don't need the par meter), match the intensity , then slowly increase the intensity(thus increasing par).

Two fixtures would def give you better coverage if it'll fit over the tank.

Like this. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lighting-upgrade-with-a-lux-meter-saltyfilmfolks.248417/

If you choose a more powerful(intensity) fixture Id do the same. But wait longer before increasing intensity in case there's a bit more PAR in the new fixture or a color the tank just doesn't like.

fwiw adding the white would increase the par but Ill assume you like the colors you have now.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, well your right, the choice would be to add a second one or look at a little more powerful fixture.

Here's the AI computer/Par Bot. You can compare the light output of their fixtures. http://www.aquaillumination.com/science/par.html

In either case, Id look at a LUX meter(par too, but in this instance Id say a lux meter. Measure intensity you have now, match color(that's why you don't need the par meter), match the intensity , then slowly increase the intensity(thus increasing par).

Two fixtures would def give you better coverage if it'll fit over the tank.

Like this. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lighting-upgrade-with-a-lux-meter-saltyfilmfolks.248417/

If you choose a more powerful(intensity) fixture Id do the same. But wait longer before increasing intensity in case there's a bit more PAR in the new fixture or a color the tank just doesn't like.

fwiw adding the white would increase the par but Ill assume you like the colors you have now.

Well that's it, can I increase white to increase PAR? I'm okay with it just need to take slow..

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and depending on your Photo period you can change the length of the peak lighting time too.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And have some stuff reaching

IMG_7778.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if eventually I got an additional prime would I need to change my white percentage?
Need. No.
No. You would keep the color ratio you like

just change/ match the intensity of the two lights. That way they are evenly matched in intensity.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So keep 30% whites and all other colors the same to keep the spectrum I like?
Yes. Then just adjust intensity. Actually makes it easy. With a lux meter you can adjust the light exactly in intensity.

If you devide the lux by 60(or65) you get a pretty close idea of your par.
Check out my thread.

It's also a cheap way keep the same intensity (par). If you want to raise or lower your light rather than guess the percentages. A lux meter is about $16.

If more people would do that we could share our color profiles and they could set thier light exactly like yours on a tank the size or yours. Or copy your colors and use a higher or lower intensity if they have a different tank.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Then just adjust intensity. Actually makes it easy. With a lux meter you can adjust the light exactly in intensity.

If you devide the lux by 60(or65) you get a pretty close idea of your par.
Check out my thread.

It's also a cheap way keep the same intensity (par). If you want to raise or lower your light rather than guess the percentages. A lux meter is about $16.

If more people would do that we could share our color profiles and they could set thier light exactly like yours on a tank the size or yours. Or copy your colors and use a higher or lower intensity if they have a different tank.

If you guessed, what would the intensity need to be reduced to?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back