Lighting upgrade

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guessed, what would the intensity need to be reduced to?
No clue. Would need a meter. And it's going to vary light to light. And I don't know that light well enough. I know myblights as I've metered them.

You could practice with a lux meter on your phone. There not gernarraly that good but you'll see what I mean.
Galactica lux meter for iPhone. Meter the lights in the kitchen first and bathroom. Then tank and out side too. It's a neat tool.

Seth Goldberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Then just adjust intensity. Actually makes it easy. With a lux meter you can adjust the light exactly in intensity.

If you devide the lux by 60(or65) you get a pretty close idea of your par.
Check out my thread.

It's also a cheap way keep the same intensity (par). If you want to raise or lower your light rather than guess the percentages. A lux meter is about $16.

If more people would do that we could share our color profiles and they could set thier light exactly like yours on a tank the size or yours. Or copy your colors and use a higher or lower intensity if they have a different tank.

I used an app on my phone for a trial run and if dividing Lux by 60 gives you ball park then my lights are way to low. I showed a base of 1260 lux at the water surface which means I have a par of 20. I'm running an ocean revive t247 led 50% blues and 12% white should I be working my lights brighter over time. I have a few sps frags a torch and a hammer. Everything seems to brightly colorful and healthy.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an app on my phone for a trial run and if dividing Lux by 60 gives you ball park then my lights are way to low. I showed a base of 1260 lux at the water surface which means I have a par of 20. I'm running an ocean revive t247 led 50% blues and 12% white should I be working my lights brighter over time. I have a few sps frags a torch and a hammer. Everything seems to brightly colorful and healthy.
I do very often mention that the apps are quite bad. I know how they work. They work differently than an actual meter.

Seth Goldberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do very often mention that the apps are quite bad. I know how they work. They work differently than an actual meter.

Ok well that solves it been wanting to pick up a seneye for quit some time for a backup and to cycle new tanks. Looks like that will be my next purchase. Heard lots of good things about them

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well that solves it been wanting to pick up a seneye for quit some time for a backup and to cycle new tanks. Looks like that will be my next purchase. Heard lots of good things about them
Yea same here. The price is a lot better than the 400 or more it used to be.
For most though ya only need the $16 Lux meter.

And fwiw metering in color and intensity can be a bit odd too. Imagine if no and Po were the same test and you got 5and wanted to lower one or the other.
The seney also has a Lux meter. That's pretty cool.

Seth Goldberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea same here. The price is a lot better than the 400 or more it used to be.
For most though ya only need the $16 Lux meter.

And fwiw metering in color and intensity can be a bit odd too. Imagine if no and Po were the same test and you got 5and wanted to lower one or the other.
The seney also has a Lux meter. That's pretty cool.

So I rented a par meter from my LFS and my par ranges from 90 to 150 on blues and 120 to 200 with blue and color I feel like I'm in the ball park with the coral I have. The only coral that I will probably move is an acropora that is in the lower side of the readings

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I rented a par meter from my LFS and my par ranges from 90 to 150 on blues and 120 to 200 with blue and color I feel like I'm in the ball park with the coral I have. The only coral that I will probably move is an acropora that is in the lower side of the readings
Man I wish one of my LFS's had one to rent.

What did you get in the sand?

And IMO, you have plenty of room to slowly go up in intensity if you start seeing problems.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back