Lighting Upgrades Affecting Corals

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently gotten a 190 gallon aquarium up and running with a 6 bulb T5 fixture on top of it, and I plan on introducing corals. My issue is deciding when, and one factor, I'm hoping this forum can help resolve, is my lighting situation. Since this fixture isn't dimmable, I can't dial the intensity back on them to account for more light. I'm worried that upgrades such as new bulbs (this particular fixture is used, and I believe needs new bulbs) or new LEDs will force me to change the placement of the corals that would already have been present in the tank. This is what I'm trying to avoid.

With all that being said, does this mean I need to wait until I have what I'd consider my end goal of a lighting system until I introduce corals to my tank? Or are there other options I'm not considering?

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've recently gotten a 190 gallon aquarium up and running with a 6 bulb T5 fixture on top of it, and I plan on introducing corals. My issue is deciding when, and one factor, I'm hoping this forum can help resolve, is my lighting situation. Since this fixture isn't dimmable, I can't dial the intensity back on them to account for more light. I'm worried that upgrades such as new bulbs (this particular fixture is used, and I believe needs new bulbs) or new LEDs will force me to change the placement of the corals that would already have been present in the tank. This is what I'm trying to avoid.

With all that being said, does this mean I need to wait until I have what I'd consider my end goal of a lighting system until I introduce corals to my tank? Or are there other options I'm not considering?

One of the great things about T5 is you mount it around 6 to 10 inches over the tank and it's good. No dimming needed.

I would run the T5 as it is with new bulbs and then you could add some led strips or something later. A 6 bulb T5 should be perfect for most to any corals assuming the T5 covers the whole tank.

OP
OP
T

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the great things about T5 is you mount it around 6 to 10 inches over the tank and it's good. No dimming needed.

I would run the T5 as it is with new bulbs and then you could add some led strips or something later. A 6 bulb T5 should be perfect for most to any corals assuming the T5 covers the whole tank.
Thanks that was actually pretty much what I was thinking although I had not considered mounting height.The T5 fixture does run the whole length of the tank.
I actually neglected to mention two things. My tank has a 30in*30in cross section, and that the fixture I'm running does have two channels controlling 3 bulbs each programmed independently.
Not sure if that bit of info changes your opinion, but I appreciate the quick response.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks that was actually pretty much what I was thinking although I had not considered mounting height.The T5 fixture does run the whole length of the tank.
I actually neglected to mention two things. My tank has a 30in*30in cross section, and that the fixture I'm running does have two channels controlling 3 bulbs each programmed independently.
Not sure if that bit of info changes your opinion, but I appreciate the quick response.

No, not really. That's pretty normal on the two channels. I would run them both at the same time unless you want to try different looks.

As far as corals, placement is key. Softies are usually near the bottom to mid. Same with LPS really. SPS of you go that route, are mid to high placement. T5's are one of the most forgiving lights you can use. It's a very diffuse lighting.

Would love to see it when you get ready. Sounds like you are going to have a really nice setup. Welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
T

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not really. That's pretty normal on the two channels. I would run them both at the same time unless you want to try different looks.

As far as corals, placement is key. Softies are usually near the bottom to mid. Same with LPS really. SPS of you go that route, are mid to high placement. T5's are one of the most forgiving lights you can use. It's a very diffuse lighting.

Would love to see it when you get ready. Sounds like you are going to have a really nice setup. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you for all your input. Very much appreciated.
I'll see about making a tank build thread once I get a chance and I'll make sure to post a link on this thread.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not familiar with T5 lights but know they have been used on tanks for long time with success. Since they do not ramp up and down like LEDs do you typically run a shorter duration period of light like maybe 8 hours?

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not familiar with T5 lights but know they have been used on tanks for long time with success. Since they do not ramp up and down like LEDs do you typically run a shorter duration period of light like maybe 8 hours?

No, I used to run them for 10 to 12. I mean the PAR range is the same so no reason to run them any different.

OP
OP
T

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, and mind you I do not have corals in the tank at the moment, I am running this schedule with my two channels:

Channel 1: 10:00AM - 07:00PM (10:00 - 19:00)
Channel 2: 01:00PM - 10:00PM (13:00 - 22:00)

So, I have only the first channel active (50% intensity) for three hours, I have both channels active (100% intensity) for six hours, and only the second channel active (50% intensity) for the last three hours. This, of course, runs over a total of twelve hours.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, and mind you I do not have corals in the tank at the moment, I am running this schedule with my two channels:

Channel 1: 10:00AM - 07:00PM (10:00 - 19:00)
Channel 2: 01:00PM - 10:00PM (13:00 - 22:00)

So, I have only the first channel active (50% intensity) for three hours, I have both channels active (100% intensity) for six hours, and only the second channel active (50% intensity) for the last three hours. This, of course, runs over a total of twelve hours.
Oh ok so you can kind of have a ramp up and down effect with T5 also

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back