Lighting

southfla79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to salt water tanks and in the midst of setting up a 110g and it’s now time for lights. Dimensions are is 48x18x30.

We plan on adding soft corals down the road, no plans for hard corals. A friend of mine recommended two of these:

NICREW 150W Aquarium LED Reef Light, Dimmable Full Spectrum Marine LED for Saltwater Coral Fish Tanks https://a.co/d/afy5mp9

Is this good for soft corals and a 30” tall tank? Are there other options? I tried googling and still not totally sure on what I need. are there any other recommendation?

Thanks I’m advance!

douglasbnyhof

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 525- 130ish gallons. Im running 3 Kessil A80 tuna blue. The lights and controller were cheap enough not to bust the bank and give enough light to grow. That said I want to upgrade to a single AP9x in the center and keep 2 of the A80 on the sides.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 31

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are people who use NICREW - they are a Radion knockoff. I would get at least 2 of the 150w and maybe a 3rd for 30" deep.

There are many, many lights to choose from and most folks like to recommend what they use.

I do not use LED, but if was forced to switch, I would get a Photon v2 for a tank that size. Some of the best LED lit reefs that I have seen have ReefBreeders Photon V2s.

RandyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many lighting options these days that it can be confusing. Over the years I’ve used fluorescent, metal halide and LED, but now am using only LEDs primarily because of convenience, configurability and heat (or, more specifically, lack thereof). The configurability of my current set (Fluval Marine&Reef 1100mm) is great. Love having the control in the app on my phone, but the downside is when the power goes out they lose track of the time, so when they turn back on they are out of sync until I reconnect to them with my phone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back