Lighting ???

rpate2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I set up 50 gal FOWLR tank in July and now wish to get into reefing. The 28w led that came standard with the setup is no good I believe so I need to upgrade the lighting as my next step. When I mention lighting upgrades to my LFS and ask about T5s they tell me these are no good and then try to sell me expensive LEDs. Then when they realise I can't afford top line LEDs they go back to T5s and say they are ok. Aside from the confusion, the trust factor has dropped with my LFS. And so I turn to R2R to ask are T5s any good and what sort of wattage do I need to look for to penetrate 18 inches?
Ps at this stage I've no idea what sort of coral I will be looking at....

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5s good. LEDs good. T5 + LED great. Just my opinion. You can do good with either or both.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of budget are you working with? People have success with both types of lights. Also what types of corals do you want to grow and what are the tank dimensions?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^ +1^^^^^
Budget is a important factor here.
If you think that top of the line LED's are expensive you would say the same of the top of the line T5's.
If you go with a mixed reef and probably most will go with that there are LED's that will fit your budget, we have some great sponsors on here that offer solutions.
Of course my personal choice will be T5' with a combo of LED's, the ATI Hybrid lights are running the trend now days.

OP
OP
rpate2

rpate2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Budgets on the lower end to get things started and probably going with a mixed reef. The tank is 32in wide and 18 deep.

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5s good. LEDs good. T5 + LED great. Just my opinion. You can do good with either or both.

This.

If you can I'd run a Led and t5 combo. I use the aquatic life retrofit kit for my frag tank with AI primes. Love it. Get the spread and power of T5 and the shimmer and pop from the leds.

Some people will knock the black box Chinese Leds from ebay, but I used some full spectrum ones by themselves for awhile while my budget was tight. I still was able to get decent growth. You could supplement these with T5s and have a great combination.

kendavjac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like Chinese LED's fit your budget. I run them on my mixed 125g. I got them because of budget issues, but have no plans on upgrading. Great growth on my tank. I also have a top end T5 fixture that came with the tank. I personally like LED's better. Either grow coral just fine. It's kinda like the ongoing Ford vs Chevy argument.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my math is right, the tank is 20x32x18, right? You're in a really good spot there to pick the kind of lighting you want. I'm personally a fan of LEDs because they are lower power, produce less heat and don't require you to change bulbs (ever in theory). That said, T5s have a lot more experience under their belt and they have been more refined to our hobby's needs. You could buy a T5 setup and a typical assortment of bulbs and have great success. With LEDs, there can be some nuances to consider. The ease with which you can adjust some LED setups means some people mess with them too much and wind up having trouble.

There are inexpensive versions of T5 and LED fixtures out there which would suit your needs.

For LEDs:
You can get two AI Prime HD LEDs and I think you would be extremely happy with the results. They are $225 each, plus mounting arms or you can hang them. You can control them from your phone so no need for extra equipment. You could also go the DIY route with something from RapidLED or any of the others out there. This let's you customize for around $300. Or you can go with the so called "black box" LEDs. There are some reputable names there now, like Ocean Revive's T247 fixtures. They're fairly inexpensive too. I run a Kessil A360 over my 50g cube and love it. You'd need two for your tank dimensions though due to the width. You could also go with two A180s.

For T5:
The prices range from $50 for a really basic fixture (plus the cost of bulbs) up to around $1000 for the size you'd need. Bulbs need to be replaced every 6-12 months, depending on who you ask. Prices for bulbs would be in the $50-100 range each time.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally you wont get better starter lights than 2x black boxes from ebay, but it definitely depends on your budget. You can get much better lights each $100 you are willing to spend.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back