Lightning impact on my Apex Classic

iron_mike_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lightning strike very near the house yesterday and the static discharge impacted my Apex Classic. I was able to recover everything except the ORP and PH probes are no longer accurate. I disabled / enabled and calibrated them, but ORP is stuck at 0 and PH is up close to 12. I had a similar incident several years ago that wiped out my apex classic altogether and I had to get a replacement unit (it was out of warranty).

My question - has anyone experienced this where ONLY THE PROBES need replacing? I ask because I can pick up a new Apex unit with all the juicy bells and whistles from folks getting out of the hobby but they'll already have the probes. I don't want to buy new probes only to find out it was the unit that is bad. I know I can buy just the new Apex, but I'd like to pick a gently used one up and those typically already have all the probes.

All fish & coral are good. Here's a crappy picture from a few minutes ago for effect :)
IMG_2295.jpeg

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's really no delicate circuitry inside the probe itself than would get damaged. the failure of the apex to read the probes is more than likely the apex itself.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back